505 side-skirts installation

Guest EUROTRASH

Guest EUROTRASH

I will be installing the 505 fiberglass side-skirts on my car, the idea is to clue them. I'm not opposed to this but I think also want an additional form of attachment. I'm thinking flat-head rivets, however I know nothing about these, there appears to be many different types, sizes and materials. Does anyone here know anything about rivets?

I would get some plastic body rivets with a large flat head that fit in the grooves / slots at the top of the side skirt. Then mark and drill the holes in the rocker panel so that the one time use rivets can be pressed in. Once drilled, treat the bare metal and paint it, once dry you can use the rivet to attach the top side.

Bottom side from what I can tell has a mount at the front and one at the back. I would use some sort of mechanical attachement here - but having not seen it apart I can't suggest what to use.

As for glueing it - I'd advise against it since if it ever got damaged it would be destroyed completely if you had to remove it.

I'd love to have molds made up of mine when I get them painted just in case in the future I could then just remake them easily. I've got a buddy that did a lot of fibreglass work in the past - so it shouldn't be to bad to have him do up a rough mold.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

I would get some plastic body rivets with a large flat head that fit in the grooves / slots at the top of the side skirt. Then mark and drill the holes in the rocker panel so that the one time use rivets can be pressed in. Once drilled, treat the bare metal and paint it, once dry you can use the rivet to attach the top side.

Bottom side from what I can tell has a mount at the front and one at the back. I would use some sort of mechanical attachement here - but having not seen it apart I can't suggest what to use.

As for glueing it - I'd advise against it since if it ever got damaged it would be destroyed completely if you had to remove it.

I'd love to have molds made up of mine when I get them painted just in case in the future I could then just remake them easily. I've got a buddy that did a lot of fibreglass work in the past - so it shouldn't be to bad to have him do up a rough mold.

Rabin

Thanks, not sure what 'grooves' you're referring to though, the skirts have been reconstructed to such an extent that there are no holes, no mounts or brackets of any kind. There is only a flat edge at the top and the bottom. I know what you mean about rivets Vs. gluing, I just don't know if I trust any one of those options by itself.

The kirts will be re-enforced with fiberglass mesh very soon, I uploaded pictures to the "Images & Video" section

By "plastic body rivets" you didn't mean the rivets would actually be made of plastic, did you? I was thinking aluminum.

Guest EUROTRASH

i'm staying posted to this. anxious to see your car done fernando!

Thanks Rob, me too.

I'm thinking the inner re-enforcing may not be possible, there may not be enough room for it, I kinda need the doors to be able to shut.

Sorry - I thought the skirts were take offs with all the same mountings.

Panel glue will attach them permanently making any future repairs / maintenance difficult. You may also want to talk to your body guy to see what he suggests. I know they make wicked strong double sided adhesive tape for that one leading edge under the doors, then you could have a mechanical fasteners for the under car attachement.

I've never had any experience with taking them off, and I only know about the plastic rivets due to a tow truck damaging the 89' when it was towed last week. I'll post details on that later - but that's how I know how mine are held on...

Still waiting for insurance to look at it and assign fault - that means no deductible and it should get fixed... If not - I'll have to fix it on my own dime which sucks.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Sorry - I thought the skirts were take offs with all the same mountings.

Panel glue will attach them permanently making any future repairs / maintenance difficult. You may also want to talk to your body guy to see what he suggests. I know they make wicked strong double sided adhesive tape for that one leading edge under the doors, then you could have a mechanical fasteners for the under car attachement.

I've never had any experience with taking them off, and I only know about the plastic rivets due to a tow truck damaging the 89' when it was towed last week. I'll post details on that later - but that's how I know how mine are held on...

Still waiting for insurance to look at it and assign fault - that means no deductible and it should get fixed... If not - I'll have to fix it on my own dime which sucks.

Rabin

I'll come up with something and post some pictures. What kind of damange did the tow do to your car? Those guys are all retards, I had to tow my car a few months ago.. the chain was rubbing on the bumper and the guy was trying to act like he couldn't see it, I wanted to kill him.