WTB: engine cooling fan

Kevin

I'd highly recommend converting to a sucker electric only fan instead of the factory magnetic clutch fan. It's an aweful lot of weight spinning on the water pump, so if you eliminate that load on that shaft WP should last a lot longer.

The wire that is used to trigger the clutch fan can be used as the + wire for the electric fan - and nothing is lost. A temp controlled electric fan that's a better in many ways than the factory magnetic set up.

SPAL has a good name with fans, but there's lots to choose from.

If you really wanted to stay OEM - have you checked that the brush that feeds the electromagnetic fan is there and working? Every one I've fixed has been the brush - or the wiring. Unless some yahoo tightened it down or worse yet welded it solid.

Rabin

Well - if it's just the fan blade then that should be the way cheaper option. Three 10mm nuts and you're done.

If it were me I'd likely just replace the fan. If you find yourself in a pinch I have a spare - but it'd be shipping from Canada that would kill the deal.

The better solution is the electric fan, but to do it right you should remove as much of the electromagnetic fan hub as possible so that it was essentially a pulley only.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Well - if it's just the fan blade then that should be the way cheaper option. Three 10mm nuts and you're done.

If it were me I'd likely just replace the fan. If you find yourself in a pinch I have a spare - but it'd be shipping from Canada that would kill the deal.

The better solution is the electric fan, but to do it right you should remove as much of the electromagnetic fan hub as possible so that it was essentially a pulley only.

Rabin

java script:emoticon(':P',%20'smid_3') I have a complete 2.2 turbo engine for sale. It has the fan and hub and three nuts. also has the trans attached and is strapped to a pallet. It is on ebay now over this weekend. Also have a 87 turbo car. Interior is stripped, head is off and cracked but repairable. no inter-cooler. good trunk with spoiler. also have a new beck/arnley water pump for turbo. have an 87 STX on ebay now and an STX low mileage engine on ebay. Slimming down on my stuff let me know your needs.

java script:emoticon(';)',%20'smid_3') I have a complete 2.2 turbo engine for sale. It has the fan and hub and three nuts. also has the trans attached and is strapped to a pallet. It is on ebay now over this weekend. Also have a 87 turbo car. Interior is stripped, head is off and cracked but repairable. no inter-cooler. good trunk with spoiler. also have a new beck/arnley water pump for turbo. have an 87 STX on ebay now and an STX low mileage engine on ebay. Slimming down on my stuff let me know your needs.

mine is non turbo, thanks though. I think i've found a Volvo 240 fan that will work. I just need to wire up a relay.

found out the hard way that a 2.2 radiator doesn't work for my car >.< inlet pipe is on the wrong side. le sigh

• 2 months later...

been trying to contact Brian @ Peugeot Holm in VT with no luck.

Does anyone have the clutched cooling fan for the engine? I have the condenser fan for the AC system.

Anyway, let me know guys. thanks.

What temp controlled electric fan is easiest for conversion from the stock magnetic? Seems my fan clutch has stopped working and figured I would try an electric.

Thanks,