89' 505 Turbo no start

Bean

Hi guys,

This past week my 89' 505 Turbo failed to start at work. It started that morning just fine, drove great there, but after work there wasn't even the hint of it wanting to fire.

I was dreading the work of having to diagnose the no start, so I e-mailed August to see if anything like that ever happened and what I should look for.

The list was the usual suspects (AFM plug, AFM, distributor wiring, distributor, fuel pumps etc etc.) - all of which I wasn't looking forward to diagnosing.

Well - as a long shot I figured I'd try the fuel pump fuse behind the ash tray. Checked it out the next day and it was fine - but when I pushed it back in it fired and then died fairly abruptly. Pulled it out again and noticed a tiny scorch mark on it. Checked closely and noticed the female connections were quite wide. Used a small file to close them up, and used a new 15A fuse - and voila - problem fixed!

While doing the initial checking the battery cable ends were old and they didn't fit the posts well after all these years, so today I re-did the posts along with a newer group 41 battery. Car fires right up, and the extra juice between the clean connections and the better battery mean everything works a lot nicer.

Come summer time I want to thoroughly go through the engine compartment wiring and re-loom it as well as go through all the connections - Koll style... <_<. Make sure it's all perfecto.

Rabin

That's a good story.

I had a similar experience lately- my abs wasn't working and the light was on. I tried troubleshooting it by checking the wheel sensors, but there was a lot of corrosion. That was as far as I got. The brakes work ok in default mode, but..

Anyway, unrelated, I switched out the clock by pulling back the control panel (about 18 months later), which also holds the abs fuse. I must have done something when I pulled it back, because the abs is now working again and the light is off.

Either that, or the car has the power to fix itself.

Bill

Hi guys,

This past week my 89' 505 Turbo failed to start at work. It started that morning just fine, drove great there, but after work there wasn't even the hint of it wanting to fire.

I was dreading the work of having to diagnose the no start, so I e-mailed August to see if anything like that ever happened and what I should look for.

The list was the usual suspects (AFM plug, AFM, distributor wiring, distributor, fuel pumps etc etc.) - all of which I wasn't looking forward to diagnosing.

Well - as a long shot I figured I'd try the fuel pump fuse behind the ash tray. Checked it out the next day and it was fine - but when I pushed it back in it fired and then died fairly abruptly. Pulled it out again and noticed a tiny scorch mark on it. Checked closely and noticed the female connections were quite wide. Used a small file to close them up, and used a new 15A fuse - and voila - problem fixed!

While doing the initial checking the battery cable ends were old and they didn't fit the posts well after all these years, so today I re-did the posts along with a newer group 41 battery. Car fires right up, and the extra juice between the clean connections and the better battery mean everything works a lot nicer.

Come summer time I want to thoroughly go through the engine compartment wiring and re-loom it as well as go through all the connections - Koll style... <_<. Make sure it's all perfecto.

Rabin