Turbo S brake rotor solution found

I don't know how much general knowledge this is but I thought that everyone would like to know that we managed to adapt a set of vented '83-'86 Porsche 944 brake rotors to fit our '88 Turbo S race car with just some small machining to the rotor and caliper. Wasn't that hard and at $57 a rotor at NAPA for Italian Brembo rotors it's a lot better deal than the $350 Peugeot rotors. All you need to do is drill new holes in the rotor to match the Peugeot pattern and then machine a little material off the caliper and you're done. I didn't do the actual work so I can't give more details than that right now but if folks are interested I can find out what the exact modifications were.

I had suspected this might work after I posted the pics of the guy that fitted the 944 Turbo disks to his ABS 505. I'm really happy you guys confirmed it as I was going to take the chance by ordering a couple to see if it would work.

I'm guessing the caliper machining must be because the rotor is slightly offset from the Peugeot one? Dimensionally they're within 1 mm, so the only "unknown" was the offset.

VERY good to know for the future.

Course - I'm wanting to fit the big 944 Turbo disks like the guy in France did and then use the Boxster S Brembo calipers on it. Hoping to move the big brake and BMW wheel mod to the 89' now.

Koll - ABS functionality should be fine as the sensor and the trigger wheel are unrelated to the brake rotor.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

We're putting it all together tomorrow but it's looking good. Needed to lightly machine the rotors, add 7 extra holes and make up thicker spacers but that's it. My friend who owns the car is thinking about selling complete kits with rotors, spacers and new wheel nuts (he made some of those too). Stand by for details but in the mean time check out http://teamlemon.blogspot.com for pics of the rotors off the car.

That's awesome - but I have to ask if there was a problem with machining the hub so that the Porsche rotors bolted on without machining. That way the new rotors are a bolt on affair and it's a one time machining process... (Instead of machining every successive rotor)

That's what I was thinking would work - but was there something that made that not possible?

BTW - I started a thread about that possibility on here - so I may steal some of the blog info to put in the thread to show it is possible.

Rabin

That's awesome - but I have to ask if there was a problem with machining the hub so that the Porsche rotors bolted on without machining. That way the new rotors are a bolt on affair and it's a one time machining process... (Instead of machining every successive rotor)

That's what I was thinking would work - but was there something that made that not possible?

My friend wanted the option to use the existing Peugeot rotors (which still have some life left in them) as backups for the race car and so didn't want to fiddle with machining the hub so I'm not sure he even looked closely at that option. For a street-driven car (and for someone who doesn't own a machine shop like my friend does) I agree that machining the hubs is probably better if it's possible to do so.

Everything went together well today but we didn't get to drive the car because of an odd electrical glitch we didn't have time to diagnose. Should be pics on the blog soon.

Yeah - machinist buddies are AWESOME friends to have...

Can't wait to get some really in depth details to finish off this post:

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1357

If your buddy could fill in the gaps for what is exactly needed that thread becomes a great how to article for the tech section.

Rabin

No worries Alan - race prep is always first! Car looks awesome with the new colours too.

I only ask that the specifics like shim thickness for spacing the caliper, length of bolts needed, and what if any grinding needed to happen to the caliper itself be documented and posted at some point.

It's a real big deal for guys running ABS brakes to have a known good solution like this - so the more details the better.

Thanks!

Rabin