turbo question

pushgo

Hey guys,

Just joined the Forum...I need some advice...I need to have my radiator fan motor clutch replaced...some one told me that I can have after market electric fan installed...any ideas of where I can find one and would this fully keep my car from overheating...I use my AC in summer a must...if this isnt a viable suggestion what would you suggest? btw...my car is a 1986 Turbo N9TE

Thanks

P

Your car has an electro-magnetic fan clutch, and if it's no longer working it's most likely the fan brush that gives the 12V to the brass ring, or it's the rad temp sensor, or the wiring in either of those.

I have gutted the stock system, and wired the wire that used to run to the brush, to a 16" electric sucker fan. Clearance can be an issue, but it does fit. Worked very well for me like that.

pics of August's install

One thing to note was that I located my fan to the driver side of the car and it fit with a wee bit of clearance, but that was with the pulley on it gutted.

Rabin

hey phil, nice to see you joined!

btw, car is looking sick as hell....

5294_123395752701_792732701_2403847_8329589_n.jpg

Hey rob!

Thanks! yeah its a real treat to drive...I have been driving the Cayanne more cuz I need to get some things done to the peugeot but I love it! Did you get your peugeot fixed after the hit and run?

Your car has an electro-magnetic fan clutch, and if it's no longer working it's most likely the fan brush that gives the 12V to the brass ring, or it's the rad temp sensor, or the wiring in either of those.

I have gutted the stock system, and wired the wire that used to run to the brush, to a 16" electric sucker fan. Clearance can be an issue, but it does fit. Worked very well for me like that.

pics of August's install

One thing to note was that I located my fan to the driver side of the car and it fit with a wee bit of clearance, but that was with the pulley on it gutted.

Rabin

Rabin,

thanks for the info...with the aftermarket set up, were you still able to use the ac? The reason I ask is I have spoken to a few people who have done some aftermarket mods and they arent able to use their ac's...I live in an area where the summers are very HOT and not having my AC isnt an option

There's a second AC "pusher" fan on the front, so when replacing the stock electromagnetic fan, if done right - everything will work as designed. When it's really hot both the sucker and the pusher fan will be operating.

If you size it well and get a nice 16" fan and your rad is in good shape - you should have no issues at all with cooling.

I'd also make sure your electrical system is in good shape as well as there will be a fairly decent load on a hot day with the AC and the fans running, so pay attention to battery cables and grounds.

So what kind of Cayanne are you driving? A buddy has an 06 Turbo and that thing is unbelievable.

Rabin

There's a second AC "pusher" fan on the front, so when replacing the stock electromagnetic fan, if done right - everything will work as designed. When it's really hot both the sucker and the pusher fan will be operating.

If you size it well and get a nice 16" fan and your rad is in good shape - you should have no issues at all with cooling.

I'd also make sure your electrical system is in good shape as well as there will be a fairly decent load on a hot day with the AC and the fans running, so pay attention to battery cables and grounds.

So what kind of Cayanne are you driving? A buddy has an 06 Turbo and that thing is unbelievable.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin! Radiator is great shape had it replaced a year ago...My battery cables are as well. As fas my my Cayanne? I just bought last sept 09 Cayanne Turbo S! I had it ordered...it def set me back...but it was my dream car! I will run the wheels off this thing and replace 'em as many times as I need too! LOL

word, cayenne's are truely insane. no other SUV comes even close to them.

yeah, got the car from the shop yesterday. has some fresh paint! gonna spend a good few hours detailing it when the rain stops

Post some pics of the body work after your done!

hey btw do you still have those euro lights for your car?

post-702-1263530575.png

Rabin,

Thanks for your good info...my rad is in great shape as I had it replaced 2 years ago and have it flushed every change of season...Battery cables are in excellent shape as well...As for my Cayanne, I bought it last year brand new. I had it ordered with all the bells and whistles: Turbo S I love it and it is sicken fast! and a RAGING good time to drive! :Dpost-702-1263531404.png post-702-1263531423.pngpost-702-1263531432.png

That's a damn sweet ride! The Cayanne is nice too... lol

My buddies 06' was unbelievable - andI never would have believed how good it was had I not experienced it. Brakes, acceleration, cornering - everything about it just seemed to defy the laws of physics! He also had an 07' 911 Carrera but last I heard he had sold both cars - not sure what he's thinking of now.

Kinda cool that the 505 Turbo is still a car you have as well - and are still keeping in great shape.

Rabin

That's a damn sweet ride! The Cayanne is nice too... lol

My buddies 06' was unbelievable - andI never would have believed how good it was had I not experienced it. Brakes, acceleration, cornering - everything about it just seemed to defy the laws of physics! He also had an 07' 911 Carrera but last I heard he had sold both cars - not sure what he's thinking of now.

Kinda cool that the 505 Turbo is still a car you have as well - and are still keeping in great shape.

Rabin

Thanks man! I love my 2 cars...Mom and Dad taught my sister and I growing up that when you get something whether pay $1.00 or $1,000,000.00 for it you take care of it as best you can cause you may never have the privalege of getting something like ever again...In other words NEVER take anything for granted...So yeah with my cars I care for them as best I can.

this is my LOVED PUG! I think she's rather stunning if you ask me! I have manys upgrades plans for her to make her EVEN more of a one of a kind!post-702-1263624107.png