Importing a Peugeot from Europe

AlanBDahl

Has anyone ever brought in a whole car? Inspired by a 205 GTi I saw last weekend (a real '80s grey-market car with docs and everything) I've found a very nice low-km 1985 205 GTi in France that I'd love to bring home. As of January 1, 2010 it will be 25 years old and totally US-legal so the only problems are logistical. However I'd need to contact the seller, negotiate a price, pay him somehow and then arrange for shipping and the whole process seems daunting. Has anyone ever gone down this path?

you can do it. most people say its imposible, etc..but it is possible.

there are quite a few guys in california with 205's. GTI's, and two T16's.

btw, there are a lot of 205's running round in canada. their law's are way more laxxed than ours.

Look at Citroen Andre's site.

He semi-regularly imports newer peugeots.

also pat whale in TX has a diesel one...

I have shipped a Formula Ford to Australia and it was not a difficult process. Basically, if the car can be driven drive on/off shipping is the way to go. I had to load the FF into a 20 ft shipping container (plus I sent spare parts). Total was about $3000.

My old rally partner and I imported a Mini from the UK with drive on/off service. Cost about $800 in 2003.

Hemming's might be a good resource for overseas shipping. Don't forget about taxes or duty.

You can do it!

• 2 weeks later...

My daily driver '61 merc came over from England with my family when we moved to the US. Cost 1800 pound sterling I think, dropped it off in North London with the keys and picked it up in San Francisco a few weeks later. Fun having the right hand drive and for the rusting process to have stopped.

My brother still who lives in England is supposed to be looking for a nice 205 for me to pick up, we sold my mums old one when we moved (stupid 25y law), but it wasnt a gti though so still no fun.

But yea I expect to be importing a 205 GTi this summer, depending on how finances and will to repair rust goes. I worry about California smog but I'm sure theres ways of dealing with that.

Anything can be imported into the US that is 25 years old or older. Anything newer you're pretty much SOL.

In Canada it's 15 years.

It's pretty ridiculous. NHTSA/Transport Canada need to harmonize their car safety regulations/import regulations with the rest of the world UNECE regs...