dont know what to do next

Guest dane

Guest dane

Im getting spark all the way to the end of my spark plug wires but its still not firing and i just changed my plugs so i know the plugs are good. when i swapped the plugs they had gas on them so im pretty sure its getting gas.

anybody have and suggestions to what could be causing this problem

Thanks-Dane

Put a timing light on the #1 wire, and while cranking it should flash the light on the timing marks to show the engine is still timed correctly.

If the plugs are fresh and you have fuel it should fire. You might want to try a little ether (starting fluid) as well (just a little!). If there's spark then it will fire for sure on ether.

It can be a bugger tracking this stuff down - so I always try to be thorough when eliminating stuff. (IE: Pull all the plugs and connect to the wires (ground the plugs), then crank to make sure all are firing. While you're at it - compression test can't hurt.

If you confirm spark at all the plugs - then you need to start looking at fuel supply / fuel pressure issues.

Rabin

I have checked all that already, i have been working on this problem for about 2 weeks now it really sucks! i cant figure this one out for anything :)

is there any fuse/relay that run the injectors?

-Dane

If the plugs re firing and when removed come out wet, then you have too much fuel. Could the cold start be stuck and flooding the engine?

One more thing regarding spark: Just cause you see spark with a plug removed and grounded does not mean it will fire under compression. Is your spark bright blue or orange? It needs to be bright blue. A failing coil can cause this, as can a marginal battery. Check the plug wires for resistance as well.

Pull the plugs and let the cylinders dry out. Cranking might help, but it also may inject more fuel!

Dry the plugs as well. Use Carb cleaner. Once everything is dry (it could take an hour, so have a few beers chilled!) put it back together and give it a go. If it does not even try to start, or starts and dies, pull a plug right away and see what you find. If its wet you know you have too much fuel.

Hope some of this helps.

Bryan

Im getting spark all the way to the end of my spark plug wires but its still not firing and i just changed my plugs so i know the plugs are good. when i swapped the plugs they had gas on them so im pretty sure its getting gas.

anybody have and suggestions to what could be causing this problem

Thanks-Dane

Long shot, but Id run a test on those wires with a multimeter to see if they are any good. I bought some new (cheap) ones recently for my old Ford and they were junk.

yes i think it is getting to much fuel because i wired my fuel pump up to a toggle switch and when i turn it on the car wont ever fire at all but when i turn it off it will fire one or two times??

and yes when i took the plugs out they where really wet with gas,

what could be causing it to give to much fuel???

-Dane

its wired in because remember when my fuel pump and all that was messed up the weiring that was originally connect to the fuel pump was all old and cracking so i just did it the easy way and hooked up the toggle its always worked great.

what started this problem was i wasn't getting any spark and i couldn't figure out why so i started messing with everything replacing everything and what not and come to find out it was just a plug that came from the coil and plugged into this thing on the wheel well under the coil but i had messed with so much other stuff trying to figure out that problem that i screwed something els up well trying to fix the spark problem :-(

I JUST GOT IT STARTED ITS PERFECTLY TIMED BUT IT FILLS LIKE ITS NOT MOTOR SHAKES REALLY BAD AND WHEN I REV IT UP IT TAKES FOR EVER TO GANG RPM'S AND WHEN I LET OFF THE GAS IT BACK FIRES AND ABOUT A 2- 2 1/2 INCH FLAME COMES OUT THE EXHAUST IM JUST RUNNING DOWN PIPE.

SO IM PRETTY SURE ITS GETTING TO MUCH GAS! HOW DO I FIX THAT ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE???

Swap out the fuel rail with your parts car and see if that helps - maybe the fuel pressure regulator is screwed up or an injector (s) is stuck open.

Other than that - make sure your firing order didn't get messed up when you were fiddling. I think it's also possible to get the distributor on 180 degrees out of phase - so if that was pulled make sure it's on properly. Rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug on the compression stroke TDC. (Air should come out of the plug hole just before TDC is reached.

Rabin

would you be able or can someone take a picture of there cap and tell me what wire gos to what plug on the cap please i would appreciate that so much. lol i just want to get this right its really getting to me ha

-Dane

I checked the manual and the slot on the distributor is offset - so it can't be off 180. If you had the drive bushing (the part the distributor engages) out - then that can screw up the timing and you will have to start from scratch to ensure proper timing.

BOOM!

If you set the plugs right and it's still acting up - you can try what Koll did and change the plugs 180 degrees, or you will have to do like I mentioned and put #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and ensure the rotor is pointing at #1 plug on the cap.

Rabin

first i want to know if i have the spark plug wires going to the right plug on the cap because im not totally sure if i have it right and i don't have the manual and my alldata sucks and doesn't show me i have been trying to find a picture on line but i cant find one

dose the 85 n9t even have a NTC sensor if it dose where is it?

i keep reading about them on these cars and none of them talk about the n9t haveing one ,its all the n9te or the n9tea

dose the 85 n9t even have a NTC sensor if it dose where is it?

i keep reading about them on these cars and none of them talk about the n9t haveing one ,its all the n9te or the n9tea

Yes you shold have a blue one.... It's upbove the h20 to the right of it.