Lets talk Transmissions

Cary

I now have this 1986 505 Turbo 4 speed automatic, I very much so dislike automatics and feel a 5 speed in this car would really liven it up.

I have a 1982 505 Turbo diesel 5 speed parts car with everything there.

What on that car can I use?

I can get a 505 turbo stick rear diff, but other then that not to sure.

Fill me in.

Cheer

-Cary

I now have this 1986 505 Turbo 4 speed automatic, I very much so dislike automatics and feel a 5 speed in this car would really liven it up.

Fill me in.

Cheer

-Cary

My old 87 Auto Turbo was on the slow side. The Ford E350 tow van I have with a 460 would leave it behind.

The torque tube and driveshaft you'll need,as they are different legths. Im not sure of the gearing for either, but I think they're pretty close ratios.

If I'm ever out your way I'd grab that 4 speed auto, the Xd3T intercooled engine I now have in my 81, with a 3 angle valvejob, mild head porting, extruded intake, polished injectors, and had the pump turned up 15%. With the 3.78's it's actually peppy now , but buzzy after 60 mph. With an overdrive, it would be much more relaxed.

Hey Pugsley,

I think a friend of mine has stick shift dif that came out of a turbo car, I need to figure out if the Torque tube out of my 82 TD stick will work in this 86 turbo??

Its not an if, but when I do this, if you want to come out and get the 4 speed auto, let me know.

So gotta figure out what else I can do here.

I am really interested in your XD3T conversion, sounds really interesting.

Cheers

-Cary

Guest italiogem76

i wouldnt do it - you got a hell of a deal on a really nice turbo peugeot

i have same car with a V6 instead and it has the ZF 4 speed auto transmission - it is fast enough for me and i really like the smoothness of the auto

plus in the traffic around here a stick is no fun - contstant shifting/chutch because of the bumper to bumper sometimes

Hey Pugsley,

I think a friend of mine has stick shift dif that came out of a turbo car, I need to figure out if the Torque tube out of my 82 TD stick will work in this 86 turbo??

Its not an if, but when I do this, if you want to come out and get the 4 speed auto, let me know.

Cheers

-Cary

Yeah I can understand that, But where I live you can take full advantage of driving a stick and enjoying it. I truly despise automatics and feel this car would just come to life with a stick.

Its going to get a Front mount intercooler

BOV

Bigger exhaust

Play with the turbo.

So thats the plan.

And a side not.

Found out my 5 speed will work, friends diff is the right one, pedals will work,

So now i need to find flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.

This should be fun!!

Guest italiogem76

i put a large intake on my peugeot v6 and next im going free flow cat and larger headers along with a performance muffler

Yeah I can understand that, But where I live you can take full advantage of driving a stick and enjoying it. I truly despise automatics and feel this car would just come to life with a stick.

Its going to get a Front mount intercooler

BOV

Bigger exhaust

Play with the turbo.

So thats the plan.

And a side not.

Found out my 5 speed will work, friends diff is the right one, pedals will work,

So now i need to find flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.

This should be fun!!

Pugsley - I think something was wrong with your 87 auto or your E350 was really FAST! I had a nice 86 Turbo and doing a brake stand before launching meant it was a freakin rocket off the line. Rear wheels would slowly start turning and when it hit full boost I'd release the brake and the car would launch hard with a fair bit of wheelspin and full boost. If you are just hitting the go pedal with no boost building - then of course it's slow.

My current 505T's are 5-sp - and if you launch on boost it's pretty impressive. My 86 was quite the handful with stock sized tires in auto-x's - so that was the incentive to plan an upgrade. Course the upgrade is now absurd - so it's taken WAY longer to do but should be damn impressive.

Back to Cary - swap should be pretty straight forward. Best thing to do is measure the torque tubes to see if they're close enough to work. There's a fair bit of adjustment in the diff mounting so you can get away with a bit of a difference. Like you mentioned - the rest should bolt right in and you'll just need the clutch and pressure plate. You also need the brake resevoir as that's also the clutch master resevoir. All that stuff will work off the 82...

Good luck and have fun! I've swapped a 504 auto to 4-sp and it was cake. Cars were built for both and they left everything in place for it to bolt right in if you have all the parts.

Rabin

i put a large intake on my peugeot v6 and next im going free flow cat and larger headers along with a performance muffler

Just take the old converter and hollow it out, it was free and made a world of difference.

And what's a "large intake" and where do you get "larger headers?"

Pugsley - I think something was wrong with your 87 auto or your E350 was really FAST! I had a nice 86 Turbo and doing a brake stand before launching meant it was a freakin rocket off the line. Rear wheels would slowly start turning and when it hit full boost I'd release the brake and the car would launch hard with a fair bit of wheelspin and full boost. If you are just hitting the go pedal with no boost building - then of course it's slow.

My current 505T's are 5-sp - and if you launch on boost it's pretty impressive. My 86 was quite the handful with stock sized tires in auto-x's - so that was the incentive to plan an upgrade. Course the upgrade is now absurd - so it's taken WAY longer to do but should be damn impressive.

Back to Cary - swap should be pretty straight forward. Best thing to do is measure the torque tubes to see if they're close enough to work. There's a fair bit of adjustment in the diff mounting so you can get away with a bit of a difference. Like you mentioned - the rest should bolt right in and you'll just need the clutch and pressure plate. You also need the brake resevoir as that's also the clutch master resevoir. All that stuff will work off the 82...

Good luck and have fun! I've swapped a 504 auto to 4-sp and it was cake. Cars were built for both and they left everything in place for it to bolt right in if you have all the parts.

Rabin

It's just a good old big block Ford 460 with almost 300,000 abused miles. Its just a junk hauler workhorse.

Hey Pugsley,

Cheers

-Cary

I'd like to find the time to go down there and pick that up, problem is always time. Im happy with my XD3T, it's great for around town driving, I just don't do much highway because of the 3.78 gears, that and I work out of my home, so I dont drive alot of miles.

glad to know things are workin out cary.

your car is going to be what i always dreamed of.

ive passed on quite a few really nice turbo sedans, even a red 89 turbo sedan just because of the tranny. if i had the time & space, I would have bought the car and gone your route.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I just did an auto to 5 spd swap on my 89 v6 very easy. Redo the shift linkage I changed the linkage around so it would have shorter throws it worked great use hiem joints. make sure you get hiem joints with the bronze bushing so they won't melt like teflon ones when welding.

Hi

I just did an auto to 5 spd swap on my 89 v6 very easy. Redo the shift linkage I changed the linkage around so it would have shorter throws it worked great use hiem joints. make sure you get hiem joints with the bronze bushing so they won't melt like teflon ones when welding.

Sweet upgrade! The V6 with a 5-sp makes for an awesome combo.

Rabin

• 4 months later...

Fill me in.

Cheer

-Cary

Hey Cary,

I have the same car as yours and YES you are def right in saying that a 5 speed stick is much more fun to drive in stick guish...as I am speaking from experience! Let us know what the results are!post-702-1263626994.png