405 T16

august

While doing some research, I coudn't miss one of my favorites.. the 405 T16!

(translated once again)

peugeot_405_t16.1.jpg

In 1987, Peugeot replaces its growing old 305 by a very elegant truck of 4.41m. Dessinée at Pininfarina, it takes again the typical elements of the 205, as the grill or the raspy part enters the rear lights. It adds to it a drawing of the rear lights which is always of topicality at Peugeot. To give an engine to the range, and to retort in Turbo Renault 21, one mounts the engine 1.9 to 16 valves which has equipped for a few weeks Citroen BX GTi 16S: it is the first French multisoupapes of great series. This engine develops 160 horses, and thus makes it possible the 405 Mi16 (Multi-Injection 16 valves) to become frightening sporting (220 km/h and 29.3 "with the 1000m). Equipped with a handling as amusing as effective, it will make the happiness of the fathers of family who remained players. To give the counterpart to Audi 90 20v Quattro, BMW 32ïX, Opel Vectra 2000 16v 4x4, Volkswagen Passat G60 Syncro and especially in Renault 21 Turbo Quadra, the 405 will be seen equipping with 4 driving wheels and will become the 405 Mi16x4. The rear wheel-axle unit is then that of Citroen BX GTi 4x4, which wants to say that the back suspension is hydropneumatic, and that in the event of problem, one can gain a few saving centimetres. An autonomous pump however prevents the car of vautrer to the stop as a Citroen of the old generation would do it.

peugeot_405_t16.2.jpg

In 1992, range 405 is seen equipped with a dashboard more cossu, with an opening of trunk lower, new fires, and... of new engines. The catalyst passed by there, and to mitigate its effect, the cubic capacity passes from 1.9 to 2.0. The power is thus of 155 horses, but the engine lost more than 5 horses: it lost its character ragor, while the car took weight... Mi16x4, very little diffused, is not proposed any more. But all that, one is balanced some, because the bomb arrives: with 4 driving wheels, that would you like a Turbo version? And well the 405 T16 offers it to you. Strong of 200 horses, the engine has a overboost: in the event of maximum acceleration, the power can pass to 220 horses and the Couple from 29.4 to 32.3 mkg during 45 seconds! At the end of 45 seconds, nothing prevents you releasing the pedal and from starting again! Thus equipped, competition is very different: Audi 80 S2, BMW 32ï, Ford Cosworth Sierra, Mercedes 190E 2.5-16 then C280, Opel Vectra Turbo 4x4, Esparto 155 Q4... And vis-a-vis these cars, the 405 will not make the weight. More expensive than the Esparto and Opel, it is less better finished than Audi, the BMW, Ford and Mercedes. T16 will remain a model rare, and coveted on occasion. For the case where there would be no escutcheon, will know that one recognizes it with his larger wheels and his squarer aileron whose sides fall down a little more than on Mi16...

yeah the turbo idea was cool.. here's a little Garrett T25 info:

garrett_T25-1.jpg

The Garrett T25-VAT turbo has a variable turbine passage. This type of turbo was introduced on the 405 T16 in 1991. A movable tongue is mounted in the throat of the turbine housing. This stainless steel tongue is mounted on an axle and is able to maximally rotate 28 degrees. The position of the tongue is regulated by the influence of a pneumatic cylinder controlled by the electronic valve that is controlled by the motor management.

At low revs and/or load there is only a small passage between the movable tongue and the turbine housing. At high revs and/or load the passage gets larger. By doing so the available exhaust gasses always give maximal acceleration. Except for this system this turbo also has a normal waste-gate. This waste-gate also is actuated by a pneumatic cylinder controlled by the electronic valve that is controlled by the motor management. The combination of these two turbo regulations provides an optimal pressure filling. Under certain circumstances an increased turbo pressure can be obtained (1.3 bar instead of 1.1). This over-boost period lasts maximally 45 seconds but can be restarted 1/10 of a second after termination if all the required conditions are still there. These are:

1. Which gear is the car in. A sensor determines the transmission between car speed and engine rev. In 1st gear or reverse no extra boost is delivered.

2. The temperature of the inlet air after the inter-cooler may not exceed the 80 degrees Celsius.

3. Extra boost is only delivered when the throttle is actuated fully and quickly.

garrett_T25-2.jpg

I've got some bookmarks on the T16 somewhere,, i'll have to try to dig up some more info..

source

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wastegate

Yes it is indeed a special car. I reacently bought one in Sweden.

I have changed the airfilter and turned up the boost to 1,5 Bar. I have also mounted a dumpvalve.

The aceleration is pretty scary and I`m a happy man. My advice is to get one asap. :o:blink::lol:

Guest the505inme

Looks like this was Garett's answer to the Variable Valve Tech as seen in Honduh. This seems alot more frightening, but in a good way. God, I'd hate to see a T16 motor blow up.....it would be like a small A bomb, or in this case, a T bomb??

yeah the turbo idea was cool.. here's a little Garrett T25 info:

garrett_T25-1.jpg

The Garrett T25-VAT turbo has a variable turbine passage. This type of turbo was introduced on the 405 T16 in 1991. A movable tongue is mounted in the throat of the turbine housing. This stainless steel tongue is mounted on an axle and is able to maximally rotate 28 degrees. The position of the tongue is regulated by the influence of a pneumatic cylinder controlled by the electronic valve that is controlled by the motor management.

At low revs and/or load there is only a small passage between the movable tongue and the turbine housing. At high revs and/or load the passage gets larger. By doing so the available exhaust gasses always give maximal acceleration. Except for this system this turbo also has a normal waste-gate. This waste-gate also is actuated by a pneumatic cylinder controlled by the electronic valve that is controlled by the motor management. The combination of these two turbo regulations provides an optimal pressure filling. Under certain circumstances an increased turbo pressure can be obtained (1.3 bar instead of 1.1). This over-boost period lasts maximally 45 seconds but can be restarted 1/10 of a second after termination if all the required conditions are still there. These are:

1. Which gear is the car in. A sensor determines the transmission between car speed and engine rev. In 1st gear or reverse no extra boost is delivered.

2. The temperature of the inlet air after the inter-cooler may not exceed the 80 degrees Celsius.

3. Extra boost is only delivered when the throttle is actuated fully and quickly.

garrett_T25-2.jpg

I've got some bookmarks on the T16 somewhere,, i'll have to try to dig up some more info..

source

:o:blink:

Yes it is indeed a special car. I reacently bought one in Sweden.

I have changed the airfilter and turned up the boost to 1,5 Bar. I have also mounted a dumpvalve.

The aceleration is pretty scary and I`m a happy man. My advice is to get one asap. :o:blink::lol:

you are one lucky man wastegate! we never got any T16's here in the USA. (i wish we did though)..

I'm cuerious about the mods you've done. Any idea how much power it puts down with 1.5bar boost? must be pretty healthy! have in creased fuel flow, or changed anything else? post some pictures! B)

Guest wastegate

The car churns out a healthy 245 bhp on the dyno. The boost is not so very high the orginal is 1.3.

The t16 is very geniosly equipped with a mapsensor that can take up to 1,7bar and 400cc injectors stock, this means more boost = more fuel. :o

About the ar: I have take the vacum line of so that it`s fully open because you have to do this in order to achieve higher boost. The higher boost more than compensate for this. The torqe is insane from 3500 rpm.

Almost no turbo lag in this car. I will probably switch to a garret gt28 in a month or two. :blink:

Guest wastegate

The uppgradepotensial is about the same as sierra coswoths and evos and wrx imprezas.

I have seen this engines with over 400 horsepower. This is the engine peugeot build its rallycar engines from. Never heard of a t16 with a blown engine it`s the transferbox that get`s it and the gearbox.