Turbo oil line seals

I have the exhaust manifold of my white Turbo off and checked it for straightness with a straight ruler and feeler gauges => about 0,5 mm gap. I also checked another exhaust manifold from my Turbo #2 and just today took it to a machine shop to even out the surface (I measured at least 0,7 mm gap, they shaved off 0,8 mm).

I would like to renew those oil line seals, they are probably over 20 years old and a bit flattened already. The first ring type seal (not an O-ring but a flat one, like a washer) can be replaced with an O-ring. The second one is in the return line junction flange.

I spend several hours calling and visiting different shops today and had no real success for finding suitable replacements... :-( I could try to order from Peugeot but it would take about 3-4 weeks (they order them from factory). I checked many hydraulics shops but I could only find (and bought) some O-rings that were made from nitrile rubber (NBR) but I'm not sure that those are suitable for such a high temperature as the turbo has? Their heat endurance is about -22 to 210 F or -30 to 100 C which sounds too low for me?

I also found (and bought) something better, viton o-rings: -4 to 392 F or -20 to 200 C. The cold resistance of viton worries me greatly. If there's -13 F or -25 C outside and I start the engine, will it leak?-(

Maybe the best material would be silicone: -75 to 392 F or -60 to 200 C. But I couldn't find those locally today without leaving an order.

I would like to put the engine back together tomorrow... So, my options are:

1) Use the old and flattened seals (I don't think they leak yet, however).

2) Use the viton o-rings and hope they will work in winter too.

3) Use the nitrile ones.

I couldn't find answers to these questions:

1) What material are original seals? Silicone? Something even better (what)?

2) How much those seals have to endure heat?

This is really frustrating because I would like to do it right and not just hope for the best and wait for possibly fatal leaks...

Aren't the good valve stem seals Viton?

I'd personally use the best fit of the new seals you got - the Viton. The temp is a concern - but it would only stay that temp for only a few seconds after start up. It should still have plenty of sealing capacity - and if they are rated like many other engineered items - they HAVE to have a factor of safety built into them to assure that they don't fail on anything just outside they're operating range.

With that in mind - I'd have no concerns with using the Viton seals...

Yes, I think some good valve guide seals are viton.

Well, I decided to put the old original seals back and try to order new from Peugeot... If they are N/A, then I'll try to source some silicon or PTFE (Teflon) O-rings. BTW, the Peugeot part numbers should be (found them from George Nunez's web site):

Oil inlet O-ring: 1166.13

Oil outlet O-ring: 0380.08

The upper one is very easy to replace afterwards but the lower is not so easy because removing and installing the oil flange without removing the turbo is a bit tricky but can be done.

So, now the car is back on the road again and I haven't spotted any exhaust gas or (new) oil leaks yet. ;-) The whole operation was easier than I thought. I took quite many pictures and I'll do an article about it later. It's a simple operation but it may not be so clear for beginners like me. ;-)

Boost gauge shows now about 0,7 bar (10,2 psi). I think it showed about 0,6 bar (8,7 psi) when the exhaust manifold was leaking. When accelerating with WOT, changing gears and then accelerating again it peaked at 0,8-0,9 bar (11,6-13,1 psi)? I really didn't test it much yet.

I'm going to clean the intercooler later just to make sure there aren't any dirt blocking it.