ba10/5 transmission parts

august

it feels like the syncro's in my ba10/5 are failing. have any of you rebuilt one of these transmission, or know what parts are compatible (peugeot / jeep).

i can find syncro's on jeep websites for about ~120 each, but i'm not sure if they will work, since i've heard the gearing is different in the jeep version of the ba10/5.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php...0e81e64616ff01c

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php...roducts_id/5744

it feels like the syncro's in my ba10/5 are failing. have any of you rebuilt one of these transmission, or know what parts are compatible (peugeot / jeep).

i can find syncro's on jeep websites for about ~120 each, but i'm not sure if they will work, since i've heard the gearing is different in the jeep version of the ba10/5.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php...0e81e64616ff01c

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php...roducts_id/5744

I'm not 100% sure but in my mind syncros are not related if gearing is different? So those should be the same... I don't know...

V-M

I'd flush the fluid as well before going much further. I've had great luck with the Redline NS gear oil for this, but others haven't been so fortunate. If you've already done the NS, then swapping back to dino 10W40 might be worth a shot.

As for the synchro's - I agree with VM - should work fine since they're between the gears.

Rabin

thanks for the responses...

i've gone from dino, to redline NS, back to dino flushing it twice, and it's still getting progressively worse. it's to the point now where i can barely get it into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th when it's cold. when its warm it's not quite as bad, but will grind hardcore if you shift into 2nd or 3rd above 4000. ugh :(

I emailed some peugeot people about syncro's... i guess we'll see what happens.

That pretty much nails it as the synchro's... NS helps tired ones, but if they're shot they're shot and nothing will help.

Do you have a spare BA-10? Be nice if you could work on a spare, refresh it, then R&R it to save down time.

If you only have that one, then I'd also recommmend sourcing bearings as well. Or at least be prepared for it once you crack the case.

I rebuilt one with my bro's 20 years ago on our 504 and it was dead easy - but a press is a must for taking the gear cluster apart. I was in high school at the time so I just let my shop teacher do it. :(

Rabin

Do you have a spare BA-10? Be nice if you could work on a spare, refresh it, then R&R it to save down time.

If you only have that one, then I'd also recommmend sourcing bearings as well. Or at least be prepared for it once you crack the case.

I rebuilt one with my bro's 20 years ago on our 504 and it was dead easy - but a press is a must for taking the gear cluster apart. I was in high school at the time so I just let my shop teacher do it. :D

so i need a press to get it apart eh? ouch :( (it's hard finding a good machine shop in small town oregon).

i do have a spare, so hopefully downtime won't be too bad.

Option would be to buy a small one... I bought a 12 ton press for $140 - paid for itself the first time I replaced some bearings in a hub...

I've heard mentioned that Harbour Freight or some store like that had cheap presses. Up here we have Princess Auto - and it's a meca for anyone that likes tools.

Rabin