Starter doesnt crank - click from in the dashboard

I duct taped the living shit out of the fuel line to the point it actualy doesnt leak (its a temporary fix so I can be sure the motor runs before I go restoring it)

anyhow I push the brake all the way in with the trans in park and go to crank, the dash dims and there is a click from somewhere in the glove box area. What could be my issue?

Also the beeper thing that tells me my door is open starts beeping double time.

It sucks not knowing this thing inside and out like I know my 3000GT. Any help?

Matt

Probaby your ignition-switch has gone bad, or the solenoid on the starter.

Start by measuring with a voltmeter (or mutimeter) the small cable with a connector that goes to the starter solenoid.

You should have 12V there when you turn the ignition switch to crank.

If you can see your dash light dim, and the battery is fully charged, then it sounds like the starter is getting the power - it's just not cranking.

Make sure by turning the headlights on while you crank - if they dim a lot during the crank, then recover and are bright when you stop, then the starter is likely pooched as it is getting full current.

Could just be a dead battery though... (If the lights stay dim after or are dim to start with)

Rabin

the dash doesnt even dim actualy, everything just goes out (except the seatbelt one) and the battery is DEFINATLY fully charged, when my dad came home from work I ran jumper cables from his Mazda 6 to my battery so it should be more than enough juice.

Might one of the relay's be bad?

My mechanic friend tapped on them them with the end of a pair of pliers and now they actualy click when I go to turn it over.

I hope the starter isnt bad...it shouldnt be. When cars sit I'm finding alot of electrical shit corrods however starter motors and hardware type things should need replacing.

Where is the starter solinoid? And where do I get another one? Its one of the few parts not available on ebay

Test the starter by jumping the small wire on the starter to the positive cable to it - should engage the starter, and if the ignition is on - it'll fire.

There's only one small wire going to the starter and it's a single female spade connector - so just unplug it, and then jump the male spade on the starter to the + stud on the solenoid (it's on the starter).

Rabin

surprisingly thats quite easy. My friend is off tomorrow and I'll try to talk him into helping me out with this.

If it DOES crank, where do I go to next for solving the issue

Then your ignition-switch is faulty, they usually get worn and then the output to the starter solenoid is to small for it to engage properly.

The fix is to install a relay that brings fresh battery voltage to the starter solenoid, and using that female connector to engage the relay.

boobs.jpg

So I jumped the tab under the yellow connector to the fat connector (where the positive power connects). Nothing happened, Did I do it right? what can I do next?

and a pic of the car

GetAttachment3434.jpg

Theres alot of corrosion on the male tab, I'm probably taking the starter out so I can have it tested by my friend and probably cleaned. Could it just be the fact the corrosion on the male tab is just the issue, after dinner I'll go play around and hit it with some sand paper

• 5 months later...

try hitting the starter with a hammer or something hard like that, i herd that tip from my automotive teacher when i was in school and surprisingly it worked i have done it with my girlfriends car to. just give it a try it just might work for you.

let me know if it worked.

-Dane

Im having the same problem i just tried touching the small wire to the positive and it made a spark and a noise that sounded like an electric motor trying to move but its stuck?

this started last night i got in the car turned it over once it started but then died like it always dose then i tried to turn it over again and the starter wouldn't turn over.

Starter has to come off a turbo engine.

Power to the small tab on the starter should crank it over - if it isn't, then the starter or the solenoid is crap.

Rabin

I have a feeling that this post was supposed to be here rather than a separate topic so I merged the threads into this. /Johnny