89' tail lights on an 86'....

I've always liked the 89' tail lights since they were like the Euro tail lights. So now thanks to Nick and Import Car Center that mod is finally going to happen.

I noticed Deuce had the swap done - and it looks awesome, but I'm hoping Victor reads this and can offer some advice.

I know the center panel is needed between the lights, and I also know that the bottom piece that fits under the lights will also not fit with the new style lights - just curious if the panel was modified on Deuce or if you had to fab up something else entirely?

Plan is to possibly colapse the rear bumper shocks to get it to fit closer to the body, or even doing something more custom so that it moderns it up a bit.

Rabin

I'm pretty stoked myself!

If I can mod the US bumper to fit like the Euro one - then it should really lighten the look of the car visually as well as physically... (Thinking of cutting the US spec one after taking a mould of it, and doing a fibreglass shell so it looks like I want. IE Narrower and close to the body)

I've also got some ideas to modern up the trunk spoiler - but finding one that fits and suits the car is proving to be harder than expected...

Should be cool though. Will look OEM - just not like any other 505 out there.

Rabin

Nope - by modern I mean cleaner lines with bumpers that are more integrated into the body lines instead of tacked on like the 505's US spec bumpers...

It will actually look a lot closer to the old euro 505 Turbos if I can make the image in my head a reality, but the modern touches of a sleeker rear spoiler, bigger wheels and tires, and hopefully flush mounted windsheild and rear windsheild...

Rabin

your plans sound pretty dope.

Just wondering, when you do that bumper work, would you want to also shorten the ends of the bumpers on the sides, so when you shorten the shocks, they flow all together with the body?

And maybe color match the bumpers! :D

btw, you got those maroon turbo pics of yours yet? :huh:

Yep - bumper ends not only need to get shorter, but the overal width needs to be narrower as well so they don't stick out and are flush with the sides...

Can't see being able to section the bumper and putting it back together - so will likely try to keep the main strength bits there in case of collision, but will have a fibreglass "cover" that will be body colour over top of it. Gotta talk to a buddy about pulling a mould off the bumper though first as a starting point...

Needs to be fairly quick and easy - so hopefully I can use a strong epoxy to glue the bumper back together... (Just need to glue the ends back on after taking 1-2" out of each side...)

As for the pics - haven't even looked for them yet... :huh:

Rabin

Yep - white car, white mags, and painted Peugeot Motorsports striping to set it off...

It's gonna be a LONG time getting done - but it will definitely get done.

Rabin

Yep - sort of... The motorsport stripes will be most like the ones in the options catalogue, but a bit wider down the side, down the front fender across the park light, and then across the front spoiler on the bottom edge. At the back - the stripe will come up on top of the rear spoiler and across...

I'll need to noodle around with the final design - but it'll be quite subtle with the stripes being quite narrow.

I should really p'shop it - but I got no time!

Rabin

Mentioned it above - but they'll be painted stripes... Cost of getting what I want in vinyls would likely cost too much. If I can get them done cheap enough the way I want - vinyl would be the way to go for sure.

Painted stripes are old skool cool as well... :(

Rabin

• 5 months later...