giving the 505 STI a little more grunt

Not that I'm unhappy with my 86' 505 STI or anything. Just curious more than anything if there is anything that has been proven to give the 2.0 liter a little more oomph. Like is there a hotter cam I can install? how about the stock intake and exhaust. Are they efficient? What else? What have you guys done/seen done to pull a little more power out of an NA. I like the stock reliability, so I don't want to even consider turboing it. Just interested in another maybe 10-15 hp or so. Thanks for any suggestions.

Justin

- Rally spec cam (regrind the current one)

- An uprated (larger flap) fuel distributor off a bigger engined CIS engine - or off a performance CIS application. (I'm pretty sure Joe Grubbs did it to his XN6 with some improvements.)

- Free flowing exhaust, and clean out out and re-oil the stock oil bath filter. (It flows VERY well, with fantastic cleaning - so don't let it fool you) If you do want to go with a different air filter - Volvo CIS cars have an alloy piece that bolts to the bottom of the distributor that allows you to do a CAI - but it doesn't quite point in the right direction to make it an easy bolt in.

With rally cam, and side draft weber's the rally spec engines made close to 180 HP, so with some work it should be easy to get 160 HP without going nuts.

I've also toyed with the idea of a set of bike carbs on the stock intake of the XN6 - those rubber boots look like perfect mounts even! A 1000cc sport bike would provide more than enough head room too support the requirements....

Not that I have enough projects or anything... :lol:

I do know that the euro XN1 505 SR drivetrain that's in my 504 is WAY stronger than the XN6 we got in here in North America - and I suspect a better cam, and the better 2 bbl carb is the result. I'll be swapping the Solex for a 32/36 DGV Weber though - so I'm hoping it's even better... :D

Nice thing about the XN6 is fantastic low end torque... Not a revver - but does really well.

Rabin

i'm not sure if i really feel like doing stuff to my XN6 powered 505 anymore, but if i do, definately, the exhaust system and cam would what i would start with for my high-performance n/a build.

im just contemplating if i want to keep my car, or selling it and start looking for a nice 1989 peugeot 505 turbo

i know someone who might sell his soon, im not sure if its a stick...

I'm not selling my STI anytime soon. I love it's fuel efficiency, comfy ride and handling. I just want a little extra pep if I can get it. I had a 740 turbo that was really quick, but turbo lag gets old sometimes in an everyday driver. Turbocharging has it's place, just not from one stoplight to another for 50 miles a day.

i agree

thats why i think the N/A peugeots have some good side to them. especially xn6's. theyre very very reliable, easy to fix, and run for ever.

i just want to get my car to have around 130hp-and i'd be satisfied.

after all, i need it as a semi-dependable d.d, and also something i can take auto crossing.

Anybody on this forum every tried an electric fan conversion on a 505? I did an electric fan conversion on my n/a volvo 240 yesterday, and man...I wouldn't say it is blistering fast now or anything, but it is definitely noticably snappier and it runs much quieter. Anyways, just wondering if anybody has gotten any good results out of this on a 505. Let me know. Thanks.

Justin

Anybody on this forum every tried an electric fan conversion on a 505? I did an electric fan conversion on my n/a volvo 240 yesterday, and man...I wouldn't say it is blistering fast now or anything, but it is definitely noticably snappier and it runs much quieter. Anyways, just wondering if anybody has gotten any good results out of this on a 505. Let me know. Thanks.

Justin

I've read that the fan steals about 10-15 hp on those cars.

Rabin, did you notice any difference on the 505?

I've read that the fan steals about 10-15 hp on those cars.

Rabin, did you notice any difference on the 505?

When replaced the water pump I was shocked how heavy the magnetic pulley was, so I decided to gut as much as I could off it and then put a 14" slim line fan on the rad to replace it. Biggest reason for me was to give the pump more longevity - but I did notice the engine revved a wee bit nicer, but I couldn't really say if there was an increase in power... (The physics of it dictate there had to be an improvement though...)

My car always felt pretty strong even at stock boost levels and getting traction on boost was a real pain when I was autocrossing it...

While I like how well designed for the time the magnetic clutch is - the new electric fans with VERY efficient electric motors with properly designed efficent fan blades are a nice restification mod that updates the car to make it better in every aspect.

Sure it isn't concours - but it's more modern, easily serviceable, and it's better - So I highly recommend the mod.

One of the things I want to do on my rebuild is to see if I can use a serpentine belt on the motor using pulleys off of other cars to clean up the front end and make it more compact. If I can replace the water pump pulley with one of these - it will probably save an additional 10 lbs of rotating mass on the motor... Should also allow the new style of ultra compact altenators...

Rabin

I'm going to tear into it in the next couple of days. Like I said, I got really decent results on my Volvo 240 by converting the fan. On that car I have also deleted the non-working A/C, the power steering, and gutted the preheater bypass valve out of my intake and sealed the heater hose opening. After all that, the engine is a totally different beast. Feels like I gained about 20hp at least. It's a little rough running on startup on a cold day though, but fine after a few minutes. I'm not going to lie, it makes it tempting to do the same to the 505. (Plus the engine compartment looks really cool and simple with no accessories and only one belt coming of the crank pulley.) Not sure if it would be the same on the 505, but on the volvo, I really don't even miss the power steering unless I am at a dead stop. If anybody does want to delete their power steering, make sure you loop the hoses and connect the ends together. This allows the fluid to move freely and makes turning way easier. As far as the fan goes, I did the whole conversion on the volvo for less than 50 bucks. That includes the fan, wiring, wiring looms, and a thermal switch and relay that turns the fan on at 185 degrees and off again at 165. Pretty cool setup that has a probe that mounts through the radiator fins. Got the setup at CarQuest.

All you need for the Pug is to steal the wire from the brush that powers the magnetic fan to power the electric fan... As long as the pug thermo switch in the rad is working then you can keep it even more simple and run the pug set up...

If you wanted to get fancy you could wire the aftermarket stuff in parrallel to be a redundant back up, but it'd probably be easier to just use the Peugeot set up for triggering the fan.

I'd also try to gut the pulley - but that might be more than you want to do right now as I had my pulley off when I gutted it to refit onto the new pump...

Keep us posted! (If I had to do it again I'd G-Tech it to see if there's a difference it can pick up)

Rabin