N9T Firing order

N9TE

Hey all,

Does anybody have a picture of the distributor and what goes where on the firing order?

I'm replacing the wires in my car and I already took them out of the plastic sleeve that goes along the valve cover. I can guess based on length which is which as the wires are still hooked up to the distributor, but I'd rather have the reference as well.

I think I have every technical book Peugeot ever put out but I can't find it. I've looked in both class 1 and class 12 and even in the owner's manual, but I can't find it.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'll post a picture on my website so you can all reference it when you need it as well.

Thanks,

Koll

Hey all,

Does anybody have a picture of the distributor and what goes where on the firing order?

I'm replacing the wires in my car and I already took them out of the plastic sleeve that goes along the valve cover. I can guess based on length which is which as the wires are still hooked up to the distributor, but I'd rather have the reference as well.

I think I have every technical book Peugeot ever put out but I can't find it. I've looked in both class 1 and class 12 and even in the owner's manual, but I can't find it.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'll post a picture on my website so you can all reference it when you need it as well.

Thanks,

Koll

I don't know if this is accurate, since my engine is in a million pieces now. But here it is:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing.../bl-fo-8827.htm

OK. This is F-ed Up!

Here are the new wires:

newwires.jpg

Note, I count cylinder #1 as the one closest to the firewall.

Here are the old wires:

oldwires.jpg

I should have labeled them when I took them from the plastic shield (DAMN - DAMN! - DAMN! - DAMN!)

It looks like he (previous owner) had it set to the following firing order. I come to this conclusion based on the length of the wires. The only wires that are "too close to call" are ones that would go to cylinders 2 & 3.

3 - 4 - 2 - 1

The correct way should be:

2 - 1 - 3 - 4

Now, they still fire in the correct sequence, but would he have had to modify the distributor placement (180 degrees out) to get it to work or would it work at the stock setting?

Here is the correct order (circled) and the previous order (triangle) as best as I can determine.

both.jpg

Will I have to pull the distributor to get the car to fire if I go with the "correct" ordering?

Update. I used the previous owner's firing order (correct, but 180 degrees out) and it fired right up.

It should serve as lesson to me. Label your shit. Sure, you don't want to label greasy parts you're dying to take off to clean and replace, but do it. Same goes for bolts and nuts. Believe me, then all look the same after they've been sitting in a pile for a couple of weeks.

Baggies, label maker and digital camera. Your three best friends when working on the car.