Bad Odo Cable? Shaking needle!

norcal505

Yeah, so basically, for as long as I can remember, my speedometer needle has been shaky.

I dont know what the problem is, but my dad, the previous owner, says it might have a bad cable, which ironically was replaced 10 years or so ago.

Btw, I have a new cluster from a 85 turbo model (still series 1 dash) sitting on my desk.

I want to know if i can JUST remove the speedo +face and swap it with the one in my current cluster, with has the stock XN6 model 80 mph speedo, and NO boost gauge.

Since for the time being the car is gonna stay with the XN6 engine, and NOT the N9T I found, I just want to get an accurate setup.

Also does anyone else have a problem with their gauge light being REALLY DIM?? I want to know how to make it brighter, and possibly even change the color of the bulb, or even do a cheap LED setup.

Cheers,

Rob

Yeah, so basically, for as long as I can remember, my speedometer needle has been shaky.

I dont know what the problem is, but my dad, the previous owner, says it might have a bad cable, which ironically was replaced 10 years or so ago.

Btw, I have a new cluster from a 85 turbo model (still series 1 dash) sitting on my desk.

I want to know if i can JUST remove the speedo +face and swap it with the one in my current cluster, with has the stock XN6 model 80 mph speedo, and NO boost gauge.

Since for the time being the car is gonna stay with the XN6 engine, and NOT the N9T I found, I just want to get an accurate setup.

Also does anyone else have a problem with their gauge light being REALLY DIM?? I want to know how to make it brighter, and possibly even change the color of the bulb, or even do a cheap LED setup.

Cheers,

Rob

I would say that the shaky needle is the result of the cable. I don't think swapping the cluster would help. If I remember correctly, the turbo and non-turbos require different cables. And I think they're two piece units. I remember from the list a lot of XN6 guys having lots of trouble with their cables/speedos. Could also be a sticky speed sensor for the cruise control. I'm sure someone here has R&R'ed the whole setup.

Provided that the cable mates up fine with the turbo cluster, I also think you'll need a speedo-gear off a turbo car to get an accurate reading. Regarding the lights. Yep, they should be bright. Learned this from my beater car as the lights are nice and bright on that, but dim on my black car. I figure it's a bad ground(s)/connection(s) or old bulb. Stock should be good when working well. Should not need to go to a LED setup.

Little bit of work ahead of you on both items. But nothing that should be too tough.

thanks for the info koll!

btw, I saw a 84 STI Xn6 sedan for sale on ebaymotors last year, that the owner said he had speedo problems, and switched to the 140mph speedo from a 85 turbo, and it worked perfectly. I personally dont know if i can swap ONLY the speedo's+faces from the current cluster (w. 80mph) speedo to the one that i got from a turbo model. Also dont know if there are any compatiblity issues bt. the Vigila (turbo cluster) manufacture, and the Jaeger (XN6 cluster).

-rob