Sunroof Issues...

norcal505

So, up until till about a year ago. my electrical sunroof was working perfect. But then, it started operating slowly, until now it got to a point where I have to push it while pressing the button simultaneiously to get it to move. My mechanic told me that I have a bad cable (a year ago), but I dont know squat about sunroofs, and really need some help here. I'm afraid it'll end up too much to fix. Please help me find a way to fix it, or the cheapest way to fix it-and maybe a figure of how much it's gonna cost me. If anyone has experience with this kinda problem, please post here!!!

Guest EUROTRASH

I'm with geoff on this one, I had the whole unit replaced... and it broke again.

Best advice, stop using it. I disconnected the switch plug on mine just to make sure I don't open it by accident.

It is unfortunate, but the whole sunroof system on the 505 is complete GARBAGE.

The motor is in the trunk, on the left. But the motor isn't the problem, is probably the ... (I don't know the English name for this: this is white, 2 meters long and the cable slide inside it). And this is this white thing that ALWAIS break down. GREASE AND TEFLON!! -_-

I completely agree with the answers.

Peugeot quickly realized that plastic cables were not that smart to use. Therefore (in Holland at least) they did advise to put special clamps on the attachments of the cable. They were available by Peugeot dealers here, I don't know if dealers in the US also had them.

Anyway, greasing off course diminishes the stress in the cable too.

Rob if everything is still working you'll need to do as Geoff said and clean and relube with the proper lubricant like he suggested. Getting to the cable is a bit of a bugger as the headliner has to come out. Once out you'll see the cable in it's sheath and you can disassemble and grease this. You can also clean and relube the tracks. Try to check out the archives as there was a write up on building a frame to give the sheath some support so it worked better - not sure how well it worked - but it's another option.

Also check out Christophe Leverdie's site - he did a write up of a sunroof overhaul so you can see what you're getting into.

I've had the cables sheath break - so out of shear laziness I just pulled the sunroof panel, unbolted the cable end, and then manually opened and shut the sunroof.

I've heard of others that made proper manual handles for the existing mechanism - and that's something I'd love to do as manual sunroofs are so much better. (504 sunroofs being the best!) Currently my GL-Turbo has no sunroof so I don't have this problem... (So much quieter on the highway without one actually.) If I get my 85' Turbo going though I'll have to come up with something.

Rabin

thanks for all the info guys.

I'll definately get it check out by my Local Peugeot Mechanic.

FYI, my dad tells me that back in the 80's, the car orig. came with a plastic lining, that broke, and Peugeot for free replaced it to a metal one from a later model.

My dad says that he also got the cable replaced once, in the early 90's.

If the cable is bad, would it completely not work?-or am i wrong.

I'm starting to think it really might be needing a lubrication.

But, i really dont feel like doing this myself.

Dont feel like getting the new interior dirty, and just dont think i know what i'm doing.

:D I can however do almost everything else on the car, but i may need a second hand for the engine swap if i ever do it, and maybe my freinds help for suspension. otherwise, ive done many stuff by myself with the help of my dad, now and again....for ex, the brakes, and replacing the wipers with wipers from a 86 turbo.

Guest EUROTRASH

"I've heard of others that made proper manual handles for the existing mechanism - and that's something I'd love to do as manual sunroofs are so much better. (504 sunroofs being the best!) Currently my GL-Turbo has no sunroof so I don't have this problem... (So much quieter on the highway without one actually.) If I get my 85' Turbo going though I'll have to come up with something."

Bean, I'd be very interested in converting my sunroof to a manual mechanism... and get rid of the electric system altogether. I wonder if it would be possible to install a permanent glass panel that would never open, with a manual sliding cover underneath... kinda like my volvo had. That would be FANTASTIC :D

Rob, replacing the sunroof cable cost me $600 in a restoration shop, they did a terrific job -- (even if the god-damned thing broke again)

By the way, this is the exhaust system that is going into the 505, currently in storage.

post-215-1203561580.jpgpost-215-1203561631.jpg

I've often thought about doing a glass install on the moving sunroof part, but never thought of replacing the sunroof with a window. I'd guess a good glass shop could fill the hole with a nice tinted unit with a rubber seal similar to how they'd install side windows in a customized van. Or maybe they can source a pop top aftermarket sunroof that just pops open - trouble would be finding one big enough as these are pretty big sunroofs.

Making the set up manual would be pretty easy - but it would need two operations / handles. I'd like to figure out a way to make it a one handle operation if possible. Personally I love an open roof - so I wouldn't be keen on covering the hole up with glass - if you did though - it'd be easy to make a cover that slid in the old grooves that you could move like a shade.

As for the exhaust - that's not a stock V70R exhaust... It looks cool for sure - but does it run it like the OEM Volvo and have all the exhaust go to the left one, then it bypasses some to the right? If so - I think you'd be better off running a proper dual exhaust (with an X-pipe up front) so that you get max flow with the least amount of restriction. The V70R is a good system - and likely flows OK - just doesn't seem like the best solution for the Peugeot.

You could probably sell it for enough to have a nice custom dual set up with the same look though... If it has a y-pipe and each get the same flow then just ignore the above... :D

Rabin

HOLY CRAP!!

Everyone here seems to have a volvo!!

Are you on VS or Turbobricks?

How bout you Rabin?

Crazy how both of ya have V70R's!!

Well, While Were here, i might as well whore out my own volvos/past volvos.

-1992 Volvo 245GLT B230F+T Conversion Almost Done, M47, Way more euro goodies, etc...

-2006 Volvo S60 2.5T, sadly an automatic :D, iPd/MTE ECU upgrades, TME exhaust system (will go in soon), TME springs, 18" Pegasus Rims-found a set, but debating whether to go on the 245 with spacers, or another set of 18" Nebulas for the S60. I also like iPd Eiker E1's for the 245, so maybe the pegs just for the S60.

I've owned a 2002 Volvo XC70 P2 "R" black on sand. That had mudflaps, xenons, amber fogs, custom grill, rear wing, iPd ECU upgrade, nice downpipe, Ferritta Twin Tip, Front/Rear Skids, Trailer Hitch, 2 10" Kicker's powered by Clarion Amp, that thang SLAPPED!

Fun memories driving fast in that car. I also kinda got that car into a music video, 18 dummy by the Federation.

Btw, all my Volvos were purchased in Sweden with TDS, and shipped back to Cali. They all have Swede tags, and swedish stickers :D

Also, you can find me on the following Volvo Forums. ALMOST ALWAYS TB...

turbobricks.com

swedespeed.com

volvospeed.com

volvoxc.com

v70r.com

turboperformanceclub.com

norcalvolvos

svxc.se

golden gate chapter VCOA reppin it!!

Right now, most efforts is going into the 245 and the 505. The S60 is a dope DD, and is fun as hell. Right now, its mostly in my parents garage though, as i want to keep it real nice. Did i mention it has only 1965 miles on it!!

Guest EUROTRASH

"Also, you can find me on the following Volvo Forums. ALMOST ALWAYS TB..."

turbobricks.com

swedespeed.com

volvospeed.com

volvoxc.com

v70r.com

turboperformanceclub.com

norcalvolvos

svxc.se

Damn Rob!! are you sure you didn't miss any Volvo forums out there?? :D

Actually I don't have my Volvo anymore, that's why I removed the exhaust so I can put it in the 505.

LOL - holy smokes that's a lot of forums!

I'm pretty much only on V70R.com... When I need stuff I usually browse the other sites for info or parts. (Got my Propus C wheels off Volvospeed I believe.)

I have to say though as much as I love my V70R, it still doesn't drive that final 2/10's as well as the 505 Turbo. Also the rough stuff is better in the Peugeot.

Seats and the power of the R make up for the short comings though - makes for a damn sweet family wagon.

Rabin

yeah-volvo wagons kick ass.

just now, got a ride from one of my best friends in his 03' stang gt. we were talking cars, and for some reason he says he hates volvos. he for some reason (unlike MANY MANY other people) thinks the 505 kicks ass.

it does. him and some friends made up a nickname for my 505 too, "blood shot". my nick name for it is "the rouge stallion" :D

• 8 years later...

Sorry Bill - I owed you these pics.  These are the 4 plastic pieces holding the panel along the rear most edge of the panel.  Each plastic rivet is in a keyhole shaped hole so of they don't release easily try moving the panel to the side for the rivet to release the panel.

Once the panel is out you'll see how the cable fastens to the cross bar.  Disconnect cable end (10mm) and you can manually move the bar forward to close roof.

The rear part of the headline above the rear window will need to be undone, and you should be able to work the cable out.

Rabin

2016-08-15 20.58.44.jpg

2016-08-15 20.58.05.jpg

That's a fine choice for a replacement Bill!  Last summer I found a gorgeous high Saab wagon with the 2.3L high pressure turbo w/6 sp manual that gave me serious pause...  Decided my 2000 V70R was still the better choice due to our winters and it's AWD, bit the Saab was so cool.

Keep us posted on your progress and if you can document the process that'd be even better!  I need to do mine at some point as well so I was planning to document then. 

Rabin