1986 Peugeot 505 clutch problems.

Magne

Hi I have a 1986 Peugeot 505 S sedan, 5 speed manual and this is the problem i have been having. Few weeks ago, I picked up my car from the metro station and was driving home, few miles on the road, I noticed that the car would not even go on first gear. I tried to put the second one just to take off with it and i heard a scratch like it was coming from the clutch. The car stopped right there at a red light and i had to tow it to take it home. Since then I have started it once and still the same problem. Now I can switch to first gear but the car won't budge. Any ideas what that might be? My guess is that the clutch is gone. If so, is it a big fix in the US? I love this car and purchased it just 3months ago. I read another posting where someone talked about the brake and clutch system being related and lacking liquid. I don't think I have that same problem but if someone can kind of direct me to the right path I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum...

Does the clutch pedal still feel alright? If so - when you let it out when it's in first can you hear it engage and it just doesn't move?

As for getting it fixed that shouldn't be a problem - but your profile isn't filled out and you don't mention were you are. There's some very good shops around the US - so once we know where you car we can make some suggestions...

Rabin

Welcome to the forum...

Does the clutch pedal still feel alright? If so - when you let it out when it's in first can you hear it engage and it just doesn't move?

As for getting it fixed that shouldn't be a problem - but your profile isn't filled out and you don't mention were you are. There's some very good shops around the US - so once we know where you car we can make some suggestions...

Rabin

Hi the pedal still feels right, and when I engage, I can feel the gear go in (just like it was going over a small bomp) if you know what I mean but the car just doesn't move and same for the reverse. I live in the East Coast precisely in Maryland and Peugeots are very very rare here so I don't know if finding a good mechanic would be easy. If it can be of any help my zip is 20910 in Silver Spring, MD. The car has been parked for about a month now at the same place and I just feel bad because it is a car I never wanted to part with, hopefully i won't have to. Thanks for the answer Rabin, if you have an idea on my car's condition please don't hesitate to write. I wish it was just a loose screw or some liquid that's just kinda empty but I am almost sure it's not the case because it would be too good to be true.

Sadly you are correct - sounds like a worn clutch disk for sure.

I checked an online resourse that was created on the yahoo group list called Peugeot-L, Service Centres, and there looks like there's one in DC, but that might be a bit far. Check the list though - maybe there's one closer since I'm in Canada and have no clue... :lol:

Failing that list - my suggestion to you is to join the yahoo group Peugeot-L and post there to see if anyone can recommend someone closer to you.

Hope that helps!

Rabin