NEW 505 owner

Hello all,

Just registered for the forum because I am the new proud owner of a 1986 Peugeot 505. I bought the car the other day for $200! What a deal. I found it on the local craigslist. The guy I bought it from thought the clutch was gone. You should have seen the look on his face when I started it in first gear and drove it away. Turns out he knew nothing about Peugeots and didn't know that the hydraulic clutch is fed off the brake master reservoir (which was low). The line was full of air so I added fluid and bled the line. Presto!...instant clutch. Anyways, I love the car! It is my first Peugeot. It is a 5-speed STI and it is so fun to drive and loaded with every option imaginable, including fog lights, heated seats and mirrors, leather interior and sunroof. The suspension is so firm and tight. I love the way it drives. After doing some research on the internet about my car, I was grateful to find this sight. Thanks for all the info and hello to all.

post-291-1194321865.jpg

Welcome to the forum! So is the car a turbo? I'm guessing no - but it wasn't clear. (I've taken the rear spoiler off my last one - it was neat having the sleeper look...)

As for the low brake fluid - only way it goes down is if it's leaking - and my money is on the clutch master. Check inside where the clutch rod goes in and I bet it's wet.

So any more details? (Colour? mileage? pictures?)

FANTASTIC buy for $200! I bought a car for $400 once with the same issue - but the guy refused to believe me - said the clutch forks were gone... Bought it and it ran AWESOME after changing the clutch cylinder...

It's kinda funny when you think people spend more on shoes or jeans than a fully function car that drives awesome!

Rabin

Welcome to the forum! So is the car a turbo? I'm guessing no - but it wasn't clear. (I've taken the rear spoiler off my last one - it was neat having the sleeper look...)

As for the low brake fluid - only way it goes down is if it's leaking - and my money is on the clutch master. Check inside where the clutch rod goes in and I bet it's wet.

So any more details? (Colour? mileage? pictures?)

FANTASTIC buy for $200! I bought a car for $400 once with the same issue - but the guy refused to believe me - said the clutch forks were gone... Bought it and it ran AWESOME after changing the clutch cylinder...

It's kinda funny when you think people spend more on shoes or jeans than a fully function car that drives awesome!

Rabin

Hey Rabin,

Just added a photo above. Car is metallic blue with blue leather interior and 112,000 miles on the clock. It's a non turbo, but it has a bit of spirit when I rap it out. I figure the clutch master will need replacement soon, but I refilled it and bled it about 4 days ago, and it hasn't lost any fluid yet. Probably a slow leak somewhere though. I'll probably drive it as is until I can get another master cylinder. I really love the car. I've been a volvo 240 guy for years, but the Peugeot is just so much more fun to drive.

Justin

great looking 505.

STI power!!

volvo 240 guy??

lol, im both!

i guess you can call us lion-bricksters Lol

Thanks. The photo was before I even washed it. It's really sharp looking now. I'm definitely a 240 lover. Now that I have the 505, I'm going to use it as my dd and +t my 85 240 wagon. I've been gathering all the parts I need and have everything to turbo it. Now it's a green light to tear into it.

Justin

are you on turbobricks??

find me, im freeride53

yeah, ive been gathering all the +T parts for mine as well. I have the B230F, and i dont have the k-jet :D

what mods do you have so far on the 245??

check out my cardomain, I've done a bunch of stuff

Yeah, I'm on turbobricks too. Im gotboost. Let's see, so far on the 245 I've got virgos, turbo grill, turbo guage cluster, r-sport steering wheel, ac & power steering deleted, airbox modded, etc. Like I was saying, the entire setup to +t it is sitting in my basement, just taunting me. I think I'm going to tear into her tomorrow now that I have the 505 to use as a dd. I'll definitely check out your cardomain tonight. Talk to you later.

Justin

cool!

what kinda tranny do you have?? m45? m46? a AW?

i have a M47.

my car has mods in almost every category

ive ran coronas breifly , but im back at the steelies

im probably gonna get some eikers, virgos, geminis, or pegs, not sure yet.

i want to get a rsport wheel but hesitant-b/c i have an airbag, and am afraid im gonna run into some legal issues, but hell, I am running illegal ecode headlights lol

your car is lookin good!

Hello all,

Just registered for the forum because I am the new proud owner of a 1986 Peugeot 505. I bought the car the other day for $200! What a deal. I found it on the local craigslist. The guy I bought it from thought the clutch was gone. You should have seen the look on his face when I started it in first gear and drove it away. Turns out he knew nothing about Peugeots and didn't know that the hydraulic clutch is fed off the brake master reservoir (which was low). The line was full of air so I added fluid and bled the line. Presto!...instant clutch. Anyways, I love the car! It is my first Peugeot. It is a 5-speed STI and it is so fun to drive and loaded with every option imaginable, including fog lights, heated seats and mirrors, leather interior and sunroof. The suspension is so firm and tight. I love the way it drives. After doing some research on the internet about my car, I was grateful to find this sight. Thanks for all the info and hello to all.

Nice find ! Its probably a XN6 engine (1971 cc Hemi) those engines are known for longevity. Post some more pics , it looks pretty straight.

Nice find ! Its probably a XN6 engine (1971 cc Hemi) those engines are known for longevity. Post some more pics , it looks pretty straight.

Good to hear about the engine being good for the long-haul. I'm going to post some more pics really soon...just as soon as I can find the darn cable for my digicam. Anyways, Car is really in pretty great condition. Not a speck of rust anywhere that I can find. No cracks on the dash, and the blue leather is in very respectable (though not showroom) condition for an 86. So far everything seems to work perfect except for the heated seats. I'm not sure if this is a common problem in these cars. I know it is in Volvos of the same vintage.

Good to hear about the engine being good for the long-haul. I'm going to post some more pics really soon...just as soon as I can find the darn cable for my digicam. Anyways, Car is really in pretty great condition. Not a speck of rust anywhere that I can find. No cracks on the dash, and the blue leather is in very respectable (though not showroom) condition for an 86. So far everything seems to work perfect except for the heated seats. I'm not sure if this is a common problem in these cars. I know it is in Volvos of the same vintage.

The three I have with heated seats all work; even the power antennas work also, which is really odd.

I know the old Volvos run many miles also, I passed on buying a 240 diesel (aka VW 6 cylinder) recently because I have too many cars. :)

The three I have with heated seats all work; even the power antennas work also, which is really odd.

I know the old Volvos run many miles also, I passed on buying a 240 diesel (aka VW 6 cylinder) recently because I have too many cars. :)

Great to have you on board! What a deal on that car. I buy my parts from Rob Courter at Javel, and his daily driver is an '85 505 Wagon with the XN6. He's got 406,000 miles on it and the engine has never been open. It doesn't use any oil either. Change the oil regularly, and you can drive that car until you die. :D BTW, I highly recommend Rob for parts - (972)669-2425

Great to have you on board! What a deal on that car. I buy my parts from Rob Courter at Javel, and his daily driver is an '85 505 Wagon with the XN6. He's got 406,000 miles on it and the engine has never been open. It doesn't use any oil either. Change the oil regularly, and you can drive that car until you die. :) BTW, I highly recommend Rob for parts - (972)669-2425

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I'll probably try to figure out the issue with the seat heaters this weekend. It's starting to get cold in the mornings in Seattle, and the cold is made even worse when you have leather interior. Heated seats would sure be nice. My power antenna also works. It's good to know that they are an issue on these cars. i'll make sure to oil it every once in a while. Man, I've been driving the car every day for about a week now and I friggin' love this thing. Such a comfy ride and sporty suspension. Gotta love the 5 speed too. I used to think Volvos were the most undervalued cars out there. I may have to reevaluate that.

Unreal for an N9T yes, but these XN engines are really indestructible if well services.

No wonder they are loved in Africa, they do even more miles there. My uncle have seen them with over 1.000.000km!

Ive heard similar stories about the XN6; unreal how long they can go. As for the N9t, mine is loosing coolant and its getting in the oil :) and the previous owner had the headgasket replaced not long ago to the tune of $1,500. I wonder why Peugeot didnt just Turbo the ZDJL ? Renault made a Turbo, dieael and Turbodiesel from the same basic engine.