HELP Please! N9TEA Vacuum hose routing needed

geo

I've rebuilt the engine on my SW8 but can't seem to get the vacuum hoses right. Can someone please tell me how everything should be routed, including the wastegate control "electrovalve?" I can't just match it up to the way it was before I pulled the engine, because it was never right since I bought the car.

thanks,

George

I've rebuilt the engine on my SW8 but can't seem to get the vacuum hoses right. Can someone please tell me how everything should be routed, including the wastegate control "electrovalve?" I can't just match it up to the way it was before I pulled the engine, because it was never right since I bought the car.

thanks,

George

i'm not sure where every single line goes off the top of my head, but maybe we can take this in steps? if your still looking for this info, what is the first 'section' you need hooked up? turbo / electrovalve?

i'm not sure where every single line goes off the top of my head, but maybe we can take this in steps? if your still looking for this info, what is the first 'section' you need hooked up? turbo / electrovalve?

Bill on the Peugeot-L list helped with the turbo/electrovalve plumbing, which the previous owner had completely screwed up. The electrovalve is no longer available from Peugeot, so I adapted a Mercedes part and it works fine. If anyone would like the details, let me know and I will post them here.

For vacuum, here's what I have so far. From the firewall back:

1st nipple - Fuel Pressure regulator.

2nd nipple - some sort of electric check valve then to the charcoal cannister for the fuel vapor, then out of that to the fuel tank vapor line (clear plastic.) I believe there is supposed to be a T from nipple #2 to go to the climate controls also, but I can't seem to find that vacuum line yet. (oops.) I think it's supposed to come through the firewall near the heater hoses, but so far I can't find it.

3rd nipple (turbo side of throttle body) - to turbo boost pressure sensor under the air filter.

The cruise control never worked, so I need to know the proper connections to the vacuum pump and the other device that connects (I think) to the cruise control vacuum servo.

Whew. Thanks in advance.

George

yes, please post the mercedes replacement info on another thread if you wouldn't mind. it's fully functional though? you've tested it with a boost gauge, and can see it modulate pressure at low and high rpm's?

as far as the routing goes, i'm not clear on the 3rd nipple your talking about.

there are 2 nipples on the intake manifold, and one that goes out the bottom of the throttle body, is that the 3rd one your talking about?

On the intake manifold

nipple #1 -> Fuel pressure regulator

nipple #2 -> line goes to a T:

the T goes to the heater control vacuum reserve

the other line goes to the boost pressure sending unit (under the right headlight)

This was pulled from the N9T factory manual which should be the same, but i'll verify on my N9TEA later tonight.

Is that what you needed?

yes, please post the mercedes replacement info on another thread if you wouldn't mind. it's fully functional though? you've tested it with a boost gauge, and can see it modulate pressure at low and high rpm's?

as far as the routing goes, i'm not clear on the 3rd nipple your talking about.

there are 2 nipples on the intake manifold, and one that goes out the bottom of the throttle body, is that the 3rd one your talking about?

On the intake manifold

nipple #1 -> Fuel pressure regulator

nipple #2 -> line goes to a T:

the T goes to the heater control vacuum reserve

the other line goes to the boost pressure sending unit (under the right headlight)

This was pulled from the N9T factory manual which should be the same, but i'll verify on my N9TEA later tonight.

Is that what you needed?

Yes, the third nipple is on the bottom of the throttle body. It was connected to the boost gauge on my car, but that's probably not right.

The nipple #2 routing is quite different on the N9TEA, but that's what I need. Any help would be most appreciated.

George

aaah ok, the nipple on the bottom of the throttle body isn't hooked up to anything on the N9T and N9TE. The line that runs to it on the N9TEA run's back to the rear / drivers side / bottom part of the engine compartment, but i'm not 100% sure where it goes (i can check when I'm back home next week). It definitely doesn't run to the boost pressure sensor though.

I checked out my N9TEA after sending the last post, and it was layed out the same as I posted, the only thing i was missing was the throttle body nipple.

is there anything else you need help routing (other then the TB nipple)?

aaah ok, the nipple on the bottom of the throttle body isn't hooked up to anything on the N9T and N9TE. The line that runs to it on the N9TEA run's back to the rear / drivers side / bottom part of the engine compartment, but i'm not 100% sure where it goes (i can check when I'm back home next week). It definitely doesn't run to the boost pressure sensor though.

I checked out my N9TEA after sending the last post, and it was layed out the same as I posted, the only thing i was missing was the throttle body nipple.

is there anything else you need help routing (other then the TB nipple)?

Yes, I need the plumbing for the cruise control and check valve. Thanks for your help.

what do you mean by check valve.

i'll check the cruise control routing tonight.

Thanks for your help.

There is a plastic device, with a vacuum line in and vacuum line out connection and an electrical plug on it near the vacuum pump. It passes vacuum when the engine is off, but when the ignition is turned on, the vacuum will not pass through the device. Since it is not listed on any of the documentation that I have, I assumed it is a check valve to make sure boost pressure doesn't get past it when the engine is running.

hmm, i'm not familiar with that your talking about. can you describe how i'd find it, and i'll check the routing?

It's right down by the vacuum pump, near the firewall in the engine compartment on the driver's side. It's the only thing with vacuum lines and an electric plug on that side of the engine (other than the vacuum pump of course.)

thanks,

George

It's right down by the vacuum pump, near the firewall in the engine compartment on the driver's side. It's the only thing with vacuum lines and an electric plug on that side of the engine (other than the vacuum pump of course.)

thanks,

George

ok, here's what i'm seeing:

There is a black circular canister near the firewall (drivers side) of the engine compartment, looks like a vacuum reservoir. that has a vacuum line that t's into one of the lines that goes in the intake manifold.

as far as the cruise control: there is the little cruise electrovalve, with red plug and a few vacuum lines on the left/top strut tower. the TOP line goes to the vacuum pump (on the back side / below the battery). That has one vacuum line and a plug going to it. The other line goes from the electrovalve to the vacuum / cc actuator mounted to the top/back of the cylinder head.

ok, here's what i'm seeing:

There is a black circular canister near the firewall (drivers side) of the engine compartment, looks like a vacuum reservoir. that has a vacuum line that t's into one of the lines that goes in the intake manifold.

as far as the cruise control: there is the little cruise electrovalve, with red plug and a few vacuum lines on the left/top strut tower. the TOP line goes to the vacuum pump (on the back side / below the battery). That has one vacuum line and a plug going to it. The other line goes from the electrovalve to the vacuum / cc actuator mounted to the top/back of the cylinder head.

OK, so far so good. I've got the vacuum cannister connected and working. And what you've said about the cruise control makes sense, even though that's not the way mine was connected. The only thing missing is what I'm calling the "check valve" that is about the size of a quarter and has a vacuum in, a vacuum out, and an electrical connection. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks a million.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, but do anyone know what that canister is used for?

There are 2 cannisters in my N9TEA. One is the charcoal filter for the gas tank fumes and the other is a vacuum booster/reservoir or (whatever you want to call it) for the heat/ac vacuum motors that control the vents. The clear plastic hose is the vapor line from the gas tank and it should go to one side of the charcoal cannister. Other than that, I'm still waiting for help.

You need to post pictures I think for this thread to be of any use... (Picture is worth a 1000 words and all that...)

That way you can reference the issue and the guys with N9TEA cars will know exactly what you're refering too.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's a picture of what I think is the check valve. There is a vacuum hose in and one out and an electrical connection. There is also the charcoal cannister underneath the valve if you look carefully. The way I have it now, the hose with the clamp goes to one end of the charcoal cannister. The other end is not connected. I also have a T from the manifold nipple #2 going to the vents and that seems to work. Any help would be most, eh, helpful.

thanks,

Georgepost-229-1196287807.jpg