ZDJL cars

N9TE

Someone is selling a ZDJL sedan in the For Sale section. Although I'm not in a position to buy it, I've always wondered about that engine. I've never even driven one.

One would think that the timing belt and OHC engine would make it a more "modern" engine. They seem to have more parts available for it even though I find them to be more rare than N9T cars.

Anybody put any real road time on one of those cars? Are they any better than the XN engines? Can you tell by driving one?

The published specs say it's nothing special at all.

Just wondering.

Is that the 2165cc injection engine?

That's the one in my GTI and I can say it's really nice. You get very good around in modern daily traffic. It's quite powerfull with its 130hp and of much better quality then the N9TE I heard. I know a GTI that has done almost 300.000km without any repairs to the engine.

I have an '87 STI with the ZDJL. They also put that engine in the Lesharo RV's; they would run all day at 75 mph at 4000 rpms . Im told they seldom act up unless you overheat them (aluminum block also)

The timing belts were not even reccomended by Peugeot to be changed ! But before 100K is a good rule.

Its a great engine that will supposedly go well over 200,000 miles and my 5 speed is as quick as my Turbo automatic.