Peugeot 604

brownie

Even more rare than a 505 in Holland and very hard to find in good condition is the 604. (I assume its the same in the states). Finally I found a turbo diesel from 1982 with hardly any rust. It has only done 150.000km and known the quality of these engines I have only to make sure that it doesn't rust away. :D

It has got a full service, I adapted it for vegetable oil and I took it directly to France for a trip of 3500km. No problems at all although I have done quite some mountain climbing with it. :D Here are some pictures:

vakantie2007010.jpg

vakantie2007014.jpg

vakantie2007008.jpg

vakantie2007019.jpg

vakantie2007025.jpg

Wow!

That car looks really great and appears to be in good condition.

Congrats to you!

Btw, is that the same rims that are on 505's?

Thanks,

Yes, actually those are the 15'' rims of my 505 GTI! The rims of the 604 look exactly the same, but aare of size 390mm. It needs special TRX tyres which are very expensive. Luckily I had an extra set of wheels for the 505. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Wow - just commented on the Dangel, and now I see this too.

Great Peugeot stable of cars Brownie, very nice indeed.

I've had a couple V6 604's and they were so luxurious in ride quality that they really spoiled you for any other car.

Rabin

Thanks,

Yeah, I earned too much money last year, so I had to buy some cars. lol :(

And I should not say this on the 505 forum perhaps, but the ride quality of the 604 is even better than the 505 I think.

Unfortunately these turbodiesels are a bit low on power, especially compared to the 505 GTI.

505 GTI: 130hp, 1250kg

604 SRDT: 80hp, 1500kg

That's quite a difference in accelaration. But the 604 is an ideal car to do long rides along the highway.

One thing to remember is that with the new crop of powerful diesels, the aftermarket has answered with some pretty neat developments to get more power out of them.

I did a little research - and there's no reason why some of the mods that they do now wouldn't work on the old Pugs. Increasing boost is always a good one, but even things like propane injection and the like can really give the car some added power when needed...

Probaby just best to leave it alone and enjoy the ride - but there's always a way if you want to spend some more of your hard earned cash!

I found the V6's were alright for power, but I was much happier when the V6 was in my 504 sedan. It was down right quick with the 604 powertrain.

Rabin

Propane injection, I heard about this, but I'm not going to apply it. I did some modifications already which gives it a bit more power on the low rpm, but loses some on high rpm:

I modified the motor to run on vegetable oil. Sun flower oil I'm using at the moment. It has 3 benefits:

- I don't have any CO2 emmission (the sunflowers takes the CO2 back from the air) so good for global warming.

- The engine makes less noise, although a 604 is already very quiet.

- In Holland sunflower oil is much cheaper than diesel

- I'm no longer dependant on the Arabs for my fuel.

Make that 4 benefits then!