Power steering leaking

My 1984 505S 105K diesel developed a power steering fluid leak during a couple weeks of cold weather last December 06. Temp only went down to low 20's F. but it was enough. The leak is on the right side (L/H drive US car) and it is leaking out of the rack and pinion seal, not out of the hydraulic ram as I expected. I have a full set of manuals, but they don't give any break down of the steering unit, just the removal.

I have a couple questions: first, should there be steering fluid in the rack & pinion? Second, instruction on disassembly of the unit and replacement of the seal. Also, are seals available? The bellows is also shot and probably caused the failure in the first place- dirt and grime on the seal.

I have removed the entire assembly, cleaned and I am ready to began the repair.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

So what was the exact problem and your brisk fix my fine neighbor to the south? :)

N9TE,

The problem was a leaking lower seal in the steering valve body. It leaked into the rack & pinion and ran out the R/H steering arm. Had the boot been in tact I would not have been aware of the leak except for a continued loss of hydraulic fluid.

I got my kit which has a bunch of seals and snap-rings that are not used from this site.

http://WesternHemispheres.com

The fix is easy.