removing oil pan

Guest adegnes

Guest adegnes

Is it possible to drop the oil pan of the engine while it's still in the car? (505 turbo)

It seems to be kind of narrow under there...

I suddenly lost oil pressure during acceleration, no noises or anything, just lost it, I suspect it's the oil pump, or maybe just the chain...

Is it possible to remove the oil pump by just removing the timing chain cover?

Is it possible to drop the oil pan of the engine while it's still in the car? (505 turbo)

It seems to be kind of narrow under there...

I suddenly lost oil pressure during acceleration, no noises or anything, just lost it, I suspect it's the oil pump, or maybe just the chain...

Is it possible to remove the oil pump by just removing the timing chain cover?

yeah you can do it, its a little tricky, but it can be done.

if you have a cherry picker, hook that up, remove the 2 bolts holding down the motor mounts to the cross member, and lift the engine just enough to get access to the few oil pan bolts under the cross member. its kinda backyard, but what i've done in the past is lift the motor, then put a square 2x4 piece of wood under the bottom of each motor mount (between the bottom of the aluminum mount, and the cross member), then lower so the wood is supporting everything. this should give you just enough room to get access to pan bolts.

getting access to the oil pump by just removing the lower timing cover would be tough. not sure if that'd be possible.

as far as the cause, check that the filter isn't clogged, and that there is enough clearance between the bottom of the oil pan, and the pickup (has anything hit the underside of the pan?). were you using a trusty aftermarket oil pressure guage? if not it might be worth hooking up a good gauge before diving into this project. it'd be a shame to do all this work and have it be a failing pressure sensor.

also, not sure if your aware, but the OEM pan gaskets aren't available any longer. there was a discussion on the peugeot-l mailing list a while back about using murena gaskets, but i'm %100 on that one...

let us know how it goes...

Guest adegnes

Thank's for fast reply!

I've tried changing the pressure sender, still the lamp goes on. I've also mounted a pressure gauge in the car, but not before after I lost pressure. It reads bellow zero (the needle does'nt move at all, faulty?)

I changed the oil filter after I lost pressure, so it can't be glogged...

I'll dig into it to day...

Guest adegnes

yeah you can do it, its a little tricky, but it can be done.

if you have a cherry picker, hook that up, remove the 2 bolts holding down the motor mounts to the cross member, and lift the engine just enough to get access to the few oil pan bolts under the cross member. its kinda backyard, but what i've done in the past is lift the motor, then put a square 2x4 piece of wood under the bottom of each motor mount (between the bottom of the aluminum mount, and the cross member), then lower so the wood is supporting everything. this should give you just enough room to get access to pan bolts.

getting access to the oil pump by just removing the lower timing cover would be tough. not sure if that'd be possible.

as far as the cause, check that the filter isn't clogged, and that there is enough clearance between the bottom of the oil pan, and the pickup (has anything hit the underside of the pan?). were you using a trusty aftermarket oil pressure guage? if not it might be worth hooking up a good gauge before diving into this project. it'd be a shame to do all this work and have it be a failing pressure sensor.

also, not sure if your aware, but the OEM pan gaskets aren't available any longer. there was a discussion on the peugeot-l mailing list a while back about using murena gaskets, but i'm %100 on that one...

let us know how it goes...

seems like I'll have to remove the antiroll-bar too, to extract the pan from under the car.

I'll just use some liquid gasket with the old one, should work...

Guest adegnes

Got the pan of the car yesterday,

the filter in the inntake of the oil pump was totaly glogged by old, hard sealant compond!

Cleaned the pump, but decided to change it just in case...

Should be back on the road today.

Excessive use of liquid gasket; BAD...

Thank's for all the help.