505 Conversion ABS to Non-ABS Parts Swap

Hi, Everybody,

I am contemplating selling my 505 S V6 this spring, but first I need to clear up a few things, some of which are related.

First off, I had the Porsche brake rotors modified to fit the ABS hub. Unfortunately, I think I bought crappy ones twice and they warped. So I need new rotors. We also discovered today, because I have one defective shock, that the end of the control arm hits the inside of the plate/rotor when the suspension goes full travel down. The driver's side shock is extremely soft, and the passenger's side is frozen. So, I need shocks/struts both sides and new rotors.

Do you see where I am going?  

Has anyone done it? I am looking at new shocks/struts and hubs, new control arms, new sway bar, tie rod ends, anything else?  cross member?

Can anyone tell me the approximate value of each of these components used?

Thanks                                                            

back when i had my 505, i wanted to upgrade the sway bars to the larger turbo units; the geometry on these is slightly different than the older non-turbo sway bars that my car had so they use different end links. that's another difference.

so what you're talking about, essentially, is swapping out your turbo/v6-style front suspension for the "regular" style to avoid the unobtainium parts? in other words, a front suspension downgrade? i don't know if anyone has done this, but if they did it'd probably be somebody like ukit who repairs peugeots and has access to lots of parts cars. i can check with him the next time i see him (hopefully in the next week or two).

this seems like it would be a lot of trouble/expense for a car you are thinking about selling. might there be a less involved option, like downgrading to the early turbo-style suspension (pre-abs)? i have to admit, i've been drinking eggnog so i'm not at my sharpest right now.... :lol:

andré

Bonjour André,

More than one person has told me about this swap, and, at this point with two defective shocks, unserviceable brakes, and the desire to sell the car to a buyer who does not deserve to be saddled with an undriveable car, I will probably sell the car at a loss to someone who likes it for what it is.

I chatted with Brian Holm Wednesday to see what kind of package we can come up with. I can pick the parts up in Vermont and save shipping costs (if we don't have a blizzard in the interim).

Regardless, for some perverse reason the rotors have warped. We are at the fork in the road and trying to discover the most viable alternative.

Watch out for that eggnog, particularly at this time of year. I suffered from the effects of a bad piece of ice myself this morning.

Merry Christmas.

Bill

• 3 months later...