Head Gasket Set

KB_fiver89

I have a 1989 2.2L 4Cylinder turbo and looking for head gasket set to rebuild. Any ideas? O am located in Dallas Tx. I also have a friend selling his collection of 3 505 vehicles. The wagon comes full of parts but will need towed.......$600. The two Sedans will be a set with a donor. One manual and the other auto, comes with an extra motor and 4 extra auto transmissions.......$400 for everything!! I have been trying to figure out how to post but pics coming soon. He was a collector and health forces sale.

Easiest way to post pics is to attach them, but if you're on a mobile device you need to use the 'full version' button at the bottom, the use the more reply options.

If the pictures are already online somewhere you can use <pictureurl.jpg> to post them in your message.

Looking forward to pictures of the 89 - quite a rare year.

As for head gasket kits - not likely. Best bet is to get a head gasket from Cometic if you can get a hold of them. Valve stem seals can most likely get matched up to another kind. Exhaust gasket can usually be reused, and paper gaskets can be hand cut.

Rabin

I got someone looking for a set in Swindon, UK and will see if there is any luck by morning. Fingers crossed. My car was ironically owned by a lady 6 miles from my house since new before ending up in Austin where it was owned by "The French Revolution" and then I brought it back here about a month ago. Car is pretty clean and has the warranty paper as well as the dealer sale sheet that is usually pasted on the window.

You forgot to take pictures of your '89. :) Is it auto or 5sp?

Have you tried the vendors in the vendor section?

I wish your friend luck, but I've heard it many times that the cars are much rarer in Europe than they are in North America now.

Rabin

Odd that it's got steel wheels and hub caps - but looks pretty decent for sure.

What shop is it at? Back at French Revolution? When Pat Whale owned it - it was definitely the place to go - just not sure if the same guys/experience stayed with the shop.

I'd be a little wary of a shop that was "waiting for a head gasket set" for a N9TEA motor as to me that tells of lack of experience.

It also needs mentioning that the head on the car is most likely cracked. It happens to MANY cars of that era, and it's really not that big of deal - but you do need to make sure it's properly repaired.

Any chance you do your own work? Pugs can be expensive and frustrating if you're paying out of pocket for repairs.

Rabin

Frustrating that it's been three weeks and a wrong gasket set already. Yes; I have heard nothing but great things about "French Revolution" who was the previous owners according to the title of the car. I wish they were still in business. I inquired about the wheels and told it was because of a curb incident so they went with steel and hub caps. The two cars that come with a load of parts both have the wheels and he promised me a set if he does not get any offers and opts to crush them. There's a gentleman by the name Mathu or Madhu out of Houston that has gaskets but not complete set. Ships here Monday.

Also the head was machined as it was warped. Found it odd that they insisted I buy the car with an extra head so I'm guessing they had an idea before selling the car. I grew up with this cars so passionate but not fixing them as much now.....just enjoy driving and let my guy fix them. He is amazed at it and has not worked on one in six plus years and does Range Rovers, BMW and Audi now......it's more of those breaking down now and it's what pays the mortgage.

Madhu is Parts Network (vendor section) and he's top notch as are the other vendors. (They don't pay to be there - I asked them)

Big issue is that the heads crack from the exhaust valve seat to the cooling jacket - usually on #2 and / or #3 - but sometimes all 4 get cracks. If the replacement head has no cracks or shows signs of repairs you should be good to go.

Mechanic sounds decent - so you look well set to getting it fixed right. :)

Rabin

Would you believe if I told you one of the vendors; javel- Garage Courter has his shop just four doors from mine?!?! I saw his post on here and looked it up and let me say I shut my mouth wide open!!! I stopped by but only his shop tech was available. He has drag race and two really really bad @$$ pre-70's Citreons side by side that I was drooling. Can't wait to meet this guy!!!

Engine type is diffrent on those (Chrysler 1.6, 1,8 and 2L) talbot and matra na engines . But yes, same gasket set is mostly parts suitable also on 505 turbo engine. N9T Is only turbo version type.

Fex. 7T2 is 2L chrysler engine, 9N2 is 2,2L talbot/matra engine and N9T(E) is turbo engine used on 505 and citroen 4TC (BX B group)

V-M

Quick note about looking for parts - like V-M mentions - they often confuse the 2.2L turbo N9T** (2155cc) with the 2.2L NA ZDJL (2165cc) Douvrin engine...

Sometimes the give away / warning is the cc they list.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Met Rob!!! Took a tour of his shop, a few Pugs he has and about 9 beautiful Citreons. Let me tell you this guy was just cool to hang around and chill with for a few. I left his shop with a big smile. He is truly a really cool guy. Sorry for the late post but I will upload some pics of his cars. Learnt something new........my Peugeot is a 2.1 Turbo.....hmmmmmmm

Also in other news; Madhu shipped a gasket set for me..... Will check my toy out in the morning

• 5 weeks later...

Stopped by Rob's shop today. I'm always stopping by there since he's 3-4 doors from me. Was looking for a turbo hose.....the ribbed one.... even he hasn't seen one in 8 years. Time to get creative....... Might just do all hoses while at it..... if I can find them.

• 2 weeks later...