Hello all. Been a while since I have been back here, something like 2009. Anyhow, I now have an 84 STi. The air conditioning was working till last week. Relay behind the drivers headlight was buzzing while the AC was on previously like it was weak, now the compressor wont kick in, and the relay seems dead. I pulled the relay apart, looks like some black contacts on the "on" side, but even after cleaning those up it wont switch over. Ditto when replacing the relay with a known good one. So I need to know a very few things. First, is that relay even for the compressor, and second, is there an inline fuse I should be looking for? Any other advice much appreciated! Thank you in advance. Figures the day it gets to 80 is the day the AC decides to not come on :D

also, I noticed this seems tied to my stop/oil pressure/coolant temp warning lights on the dash. Is the hi temp cutoff for the compressor tied to the coolant warning bulb?

Any thread in particular go about resolving those dash lights not functioning. They work once in a while, and as soon as they were on, the compressor came right up

i can't take you very far down this path, but i know the first step -- have you checked and cleaned your grounding points? on the 505, there are two round ones up front (behind the headlights) and two square ones in the back (in the sides of the trunk). unplug everything from them, unscrew them from the body & clean/sand off any corrosion. it's also helpful to clean the connectors on the wires attaching to them and spray everything with some dielectric grease...

any time you have more than one electrical issue, grounds should be the first step. on our cars, they seem particularly prone to problems.

andré

awesome, I actually went through the engine ground block and the other underhood ones when I had the starter out a few weeks back. It is certainly tied to the 3 warning lights in the right hand upper corner of the instrument panel. If they are on, cold as an icebox. If they do not come on when starting the car, nothing. I will pull the steering wheel and cluster tomorrow and see what is back there I may have knocked out of whack when I was fixing my econoscope. If anyone knows where these 3 lights ground back there please chime in. Thanks!