405 Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Re-Routing Caveat

Last year someone I know replaced the factory line with a nice long piece of hydraulic/fuel line, long enough to run behind the vertical brake master cylinder to mitigate the bend to the fitting, long enough to reach to the back of the booster body itself, yes, right below the wiper motor assembly and the horizontal link with the sharp edge which moves in a saw-like motion when the wipers are operating.

I never thought about it either when I changed the hose this year and attributed it to fraying on the bulkhead. Someone hadn't re-seated the grommet either.

Last week the CHECK ENGINE light began lighting at stops. I said WTF and it must be the O2 sensor. Last week in a foggy rainstorm I needed to stop and the brakes did not work. I figured it must have been wet brakes.
No I hit the guy's house because the brakes did not work. There was no vacuum to the booster. In the heavy rainstorm with constant wiper use I had sawn right through the hose.

I fixed the problem today and what a relief: I used a $1.29 right angle black nylon union and jerry-rigged the whole affair and now all I need is a little body work.

Happy New Year to All!