Engine noise

B.c. Beeson

Hey All,

This is my first post. The car I'm talking about is a '82 Turbo Diesel with 120k miles. I believe this is the XD2S engine.

Back story: my uncle purchased this car for a female cousin of mine and it ran well with no known issues for 3 years. Another male cousin jumped in it and drove 80 (128kph) on the freeway and according to him the dipstick popped out and drained the engine of oil. I don't even know how long it ran like this but now the engine has a noticeable knock. They took it to a mechanic and had a compression test which was within the original specs. That leaves me to suspect the rod bearing has worn.

Now my female cousin moved to a volvo and now my uncle wants to sell the car. I've offered $1100 for it and I think he might take the bait but I also want to know a little bit more about what I'm getting into. I plan to use some oil additives to see if I can help smooth out anything and I will be pulling the oil pan to look for shavings. But, in case it is a worst case scenario, does anyone know where I can get a crankshaft, 4 pistons and 4 bearings?

I took a video of the engine while running but it's hard to hear the knock. http://youtu.be/94j8Qjc4avQ

With only 120K miles she's just a baby!

The severity of the knock, and why it's knocking will determine how extensive the repair needs to be.

You might be able to get away with just bearings (rod or main), but you won't know until you look and measure.

Price wise you're being generous at $1100 for a car that could possibly need major engine work, but if the car looks as minty as the engine bay then its well worth it.

Keep us posted if you get it, and if you take on the repairs. Listening to it in the video it sounds great, and it having good compression is another very good sign.

Rabin

.... I also want to know a little bit more about what I'm getting into. I plan to use some oil additives to see if I can help smooth out anything and I will be pulling the oil pan to look for shavings. But, in case it is a worst case scenario, does anyone know where I can get a crankshaft, 4 pistons and 4 bearings?

I took a video of the engine while running but it's hard to hear the knock. http://youtu.be/94j8Qjc4avQ

Welcome to the forum.

You might also get some insight into what if anything unusual is going on by sending in an oil sample for analysis. I use BlackStone http://www.blackstone-labs.com, so they at least have results from one other Peugeot XD engine to use for comparison.