'91 505 Wipers Won't Park

Hi, Rabin,

I'll be as specific as possible but, in fact, the ways in which the things operate depending on function seem to change constantly.

In regular operate mode, the wipers do not park at the bottom of the windshield. Where they stop varies. Much of the time it requires that I flick on the switch to take the arms to the bottom.

In spray they cycle four or five time. Stop at the top of the cycle. Usually.

I have not seen them working intermitent mode.

Unfortunately I have done most of the driving in snowstorms and have not just sat in the garage watching what happens.

Originally the car was being repaired for a fault with the ZF auto box: the tranny would not stay in torque converter lockup. In and out. Nat at Eriksson said it was bad seals at governor; he was right.

Bill

I did some googling and there looks to be a couple issues.

Couple things to check would be connections at the motor, especially the grounds for it.

From memory on the 504 motor there are two brass traces in the wiper that power the motor during the sweep, but one of them ends which parks the motor when the switch is turned off and its mid sweep.

With these cars - I'd be putting money on the connections / grounds rather than it being the motor itself.

Rabin

Hello Bill from what i gather you said "wiper motor and linkages just flopping around" Does this mean it fell apart came loose at the plastic/metal ball joints? And you got then back together but probably not right order?

If so here is some views of a spare set up i have maybe you can see how it's linked together.

rear view as seen from drivers seat.

post-467-0-78759700-1388867343_thumb.jpg

looking down

post-467-0-05536100-1388867468_thumb.jpg

As am posting these pics i just remembered this is for right hand drive 505

Stiil hope it helps.

I've got an assembly out of the car as well in the garage. Looks the same to me, but a mirror image since RHD wipers wipe left to right.

It is a simple set up, so I doubt its an installation issue, but if it wasn't assembled in the park position you might have issues. Arms that have stripped mounts could also be the cause if the wipers are stopping in random places.

Rabin