dreaded HG leak

ahing6

Well on further investigation as to why i have toffee coloured oil cap and losing water and being told steam is coming out tail pipe at start up, i decided to inspect the plugs.

Here's what they look like, seems that #2 plug/cylinder is taking in water from the rusted colour.

post-467-0-94515800-1385489678_thumb.jpg

post-467-0-90098600-1385489744_thumb.jpg

Damnn...the dreaded leaking HG....

There is no toffee on dip stick though.

Question, is there an additive can use in radiator to temporary slow down leak?

Just no time to deal with this around this time of year.

Hate to have both 505 & 405 down....

Roger

Burning coolant is usually shows up on plug ends with a white residue which is what appears to be the case with the three other plugs, but its hard to tell with that picture. #3 doesn't look bad, but a proper running engine should have tan or light brown residue.

There are products that claim to fix HG issues, and I have used one that claims to never harden since I wanted to ensure I could reverse it and not have it plug up coolant passages or heater core.

It did not fix my problem however, but in my case I'm quite certain the head on my N9TE has started to crack.

If the oil isn't contaminated I would just keep driving it with a close eye on the oil. You might even check out re torquing the head bolts to see if that buys you some time.

Rabin

Aww man 3 cylinders taking in water....well that sucks.....

Bought some INSTA-SEAL, see if that helps.

Will tackle head bolts week end with caution....don't want to snap a bolt waay down in the block!!

Hard to tell from the picture as I said - but it does *look* like it from what appears to be white.

Burning coolant essentially steam cleans the plugs, and when you pull the head the piston and combustion chamber will be very clean as well.

Rabin