405 SRi

ahing6

Hi all.....I bought a 1996 SRI last Sun. It's a bit tatty & ratty, the PO was not so mechanically inclined so has some issues.

Needs a new master cylinder, no brakes, what was once fluid plopped out like brown mud......oh my...!

Auto transmission only engages when rev the engine past 3,500K and fluid is black...ugh, but works fine when warmed up.

Power steering leaks, probably the ram is gone.

Radiator leaks.

Here are some pics.

post-467-0-03888000-1383610062_thumb.jpg

post-467-0-32652700-1383610096_thumb.jpg

single cam 8 valve

post-467-0-16022800-1383610139_thumb.jpg

We never got the Mi16 405s here :( but am sure a few were privately imported as i have seen few with rear spoiler but not close enough to see the red Mi16 emblem on trunk lid.

i got a new radiator with car but does not look like whats in car, maybe it's for a Mi16 or diesel model?

Here it is. It's very thin single core.

post-467-0-60587900-1383610560_thumb.jpg

And here is what i believe the original look's like that a friend of mine just happened to have.

post-467-0-72856000-1383610746_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any info on these 2 rads ...... :huh:

505 is down for chassis fixes so the 405 will be my ride until.

Roger.

Hopefully you get sorted with some fluid changes and some quick fixes. A word of caution with the brakes though - it sounds like the PO may have put the wrong fluid into the master, and if so, you may have to replace any of the seals the fluid reached... (IE The calipers)

Keep us posted on progress!!

Rabin

Hopefully you get sorted with some fluid changes and some quick fixes. A word of caution with the brakes though - it sounds like the PO may have put the wrong fluid into the master, and if so, you may have to replace any of the seals the fluid reached... (IE The calipers)

Keep us posted on progress!!

Rabin

Well it seems the brake fluid never got flushed in past 10yrs!! i was shocked at what came out.

Am thinking that once the new master cylinder is installed the caliper seals may begin to leak also with the pressure.

Maybe best to disassemble caliper pistons and inspect? Hope they're not corroded as the m-cylinder.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic - it absorbs water - which is why it should be flushed every to years. When it gets that bad there's a lot of water in the fluid, and with water comes corrosion. I'd it were me I'd pop the calipers off and remove / inspect pistons to be safe.

Rabin