3Hp22 overfilled

AndrewG

How much over are we talking about? A little isn't a problem, but if it's over 1L then you might run into issues when it heats up and the volume can't be contained in the system. I haven't worked on a 3sp auto in forever, but it might be as simple as using a 3/8 vinyl tube to suck it out the dipstick tube to get it back to proper level if you don't want to crack the pan. (Assumes there's no drain on the pan like the 4sp auto does?)

Rabin

Thanks Rabin. The problem is that I gave out the job of changing transmission oil last Autumn and haven't driven the car much since then for various reasons including having to change the engine mounts. It seemed OK except for some minor leaking which I put down to old age (the car that is!). Having eliminated the steering, I dipped the trans and noticed the overfill. We have an Acura which, when changing the trans oil, requires filling until the high mark on the dipstick, as per an engine oil change. I suspect that the mechanic did the same when changing the 505 trans oil. I have drained the oil which looks OK, fairly clean, no smell and probably about a litre more than I expected. My concern is whether any damage could have been done internally without being noticed, so far. Cheers.

The only damage I can think of that would result is a seal getting blown out. If that happened you'd know it.

The only way to have stressed the tranny into a situation would be racing or towing and I doubt you did either which would have caused excessive heat and fluid expansion.

If it drives and shifts fine I'd leave it as is, but I'd recommend a good auto tranny additive added to it when you refill it.

Rabin

You're probably right, but It's good to get another opinion. My wife and I thank you for taking the time to reply. Perhaps you will remember a few years back, you put me in touch with John in Toronto when I needed some parts. You're a life-saver Rabin. Take care and enjoy the rest of Summer. Will be in touch, hopefully with good news!!

Regards, Andrew

No problem Andrew!

And while I do remember sending someone to John, I did not put it together that it was you - so thanks for the reminder.

Feel free to post up pictures of the car - it's always nice to see the cars that are being discussed. And feel free to ask for help whenever - it's why we're here. :)

Rabin