Free to good home.. 8/84 505 STI 5 speed XN6. Benton CA.

Greylopht

Well the time has come for me to part ways with my 505. It pains me, but she is getting a bit long in the tooth and rather impracticle for me at this time and I have no where to store it. Let me give you all some details.

6906203074_56d7254949_z.jpg

I bought it in May 2009 to replace my 500K mile car at the time. Paid 110 bucks for it delivered and with a little bit of work, it was on the road. This is not my first pug, I have had a 80 Diesel Automatic and a 82 TD automatic. At the time it had like 152K on the clock. Things I have done since then

Both fuel pumps (Airtex E8200 for the in tank), injector O rings, timing chain with tensioner and gears, many many oil changes, trans and diff changes, brake pads, rear wheel bearing, front wheel bearings, master cyl, plugs, cap and rotor and change to electric fan from mechanical. (And it was done on the side of the road to boot). Water pump, 2 speedo units (new) 4 speedo cables (one is broken -again-) And by the log book I have put another 250K on the car. Work had me travelling very long distances throughout New Mexico and Texas. So I would say she is pushing 400K on the body right now.

I have a almost complete service history for the car from both myself, and the two previous owners since it was new. It has always been in the southern states, so there is absolutely no rust. It was originally bought in TX by a Doctor. Second owner kept it in Las Vegas, and El Paso/Orogrande.

The good...

Body is straight with no rust. (A pull point has been pulled off, and I think I have it to weld back on)

Electrics work save cruise, and the power locks (Clip broke in the drivers door -again-) and sunroof (cable)

The drives well for the mileage, and I just did a round about from Benton CA, to Denver CO to Austin TX and then back to Benton CA in two weeks at the end of September last year.

Still gets 23 to the gallon if you keep it at 68MPH (it's sweet spot)

No trans or rear end noise at all.

Air con still works. :) Cant live with out it down there. (By the way, the expansion valve is the same as on a 93 DT series International Tractor.. And is less than 40 bucks)

Clean Clear NM title.

The Bad...

Interior is.. well 400K on the clock and living in the major sun belt. Poor is the word I am looking for.

Time for brakes again (rear)

Needs a Service (oil bath air cleaner is WAY over due)

Gives a puff of smoke on start up (valve stem seals) and the oil pressure is getting low (Hot timing chain rattle)

Clutch is original, it may not slip but it is getting thin I am sure.

Shift linkage.. (You can drive a butter churn right? Currently held together with Zips and has been for years)

Weather strip. (See interior)

High pressure steering hose will squirt out fluid some time (this just started)

Rack rods have slop

She gets really warm (3/4's on the gauge) going up super steep stuff loaded with 700 pounds of gear in 3rd. (Unloaded she rarely gets over half except when idling allot .. then she will heat soak to 3/4)

There are other things like the power mirror motors are out .. and just ya know. It is a old pug, that still starts, runs and seems to just eat miles. Love to see someone use the body, or something. I am back home so now I am back to the fleet of Subarus. And I just do not have the parts stock (or the money) to do the Pug even though I love the way it can just waft along.

So here is the deal..

Come have my Pug for free. BUT BUT BUT. Bring your own wheels. I need my wheels (all five with lug nuts) for one of the Subarus. I will sign the title over right on the spot, and hand you the keys (I have 1 set, ignition and trunk) and you can drive it home. Her registration ends at the end of July. You will also get the three volumes of service history.

If you have another set of alloys in 14 or 15 inch with lug nuts let me know and you can have my wheels and tires and I will take your wheels (I do not need tires) and lug nuts. I need a set of 5 however!

Car is located in Benton California (93512). If you can just get to the Station in Benton.. well I am right next door. If you are interested in it, post a message, private message me or .. My user name at gmail will get you to me. Hope someone wants it, because the body is really straight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
At least it's on the same side of the Rockies as you :rolleyes:

Well I am a bit off the normal beaten path to put it.. lightly. No real easy way to get here from there. Though at least the passes are open. (Ok it is not that bad. Only round about seven hours if you take Yosemite. The other ways. Oh well, the other ways. Several hours more.)

:)

But thanks for the interest you two.

Guest z103pegaso

I'm still trying to find a set of wheels to go get this poor thing, but boy is it hard. Does anyone else on here have a spare set, preferably in SoCal? I can trade some other Pug parts for them, I still have a few boxes left.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What's the status on this car? Did anyone claim it? I have to make a trip to Red Bluff, CA in the spring some time to pick up two more 505s for my own fleet. Just wondering if the car will still be available then or if I can help facilitate someone else picking it up by contributing a set of rims?