my new car

Mike T

I love my 2005 smart fortwo cdi cabriolet.

It is German-designed but French-built. It even has three lug nuts per wheel, just like all proper Peugeots do :unsure:

Its engine is a 799 cc direct injection common-rail turbodiesel with 40 HP @ 4200 rpm and 74 lbs-ft of torque from 1800-2800 rpm.

The car is an absolute blast to drive. I think the only car that has come close to giving me the same thrill as the smart is the old 404 Coupé I used to drive when I was in university.

Fuel economy has been amazing: averaging exactly 60.0 US MPG since the day I got it, including of course the breaking-in period. The consumption in now typically around 68 MPG US (80 Imperial). Check out the hyperlink of the L/100 km symbol below to see the (metric) fuel consumption records.

The car is not sold in the USA, unfortunately. Only in Canada and Mexico, on our continent.

My plan is to keep this car forever. I may get a second one sometime.

That's really a nice car, Mike.

This month's MOTORTREND has an article titled something like "Ten Cars We Wish We Got Over Here", and that is one of them.

Along with that article, there is one called, "Ten Cars We're Glad We Don't Get". The 607 is on that list. I saw it at the library, and only had time to glance over the issue.

-Bill Doyle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...