Power steering Problems -88 N9TEA

So i have just completed my engine overhaul, and my Power steering isn't working at all! :(

I did some searching on the forum and i think that i have the "variable Power steering" with one additional pump under the battery.

I have a replacement steering rack, but is there loads of work to swap out the steering rack?

is there any difference between a steering rack from a car without the variable steering from the one i have on my car? :o

Possible solutions of why my power steering isn't working anyone? :)

The variable steering basically controls the fluid flow to the steering ram using the sensor on the speedo cable as input. Electrical connections and grounds would be the first thing to check.

Steering racks are all the same, but the inner tie rods are much longer on the newer cars with ABS/2pc strut spindle assemblies.

What some do is unplug the unit when it does have full assist for full time power assist, but I LOVE the simple and effective variable steering so I'll do my best to keep the feature if mine ever acts up.

Rabin

It could also be the PS pump not working or the PS ram attached to the rack. I'm not sure how you would test a pump (especially with variable PS) but you could possibly remove the PS hose coming out of the pump and start the engine and see if it pumps fluid into a bucket.

If it is pumping fluid then it could be the PS ram that is not working, as its the ram that provides the power assist. Not sure if you can replace the ram without taking the whole rack out.

Easiest would be to first try Rabin's suggestion of unplugging the variable unit and see if that helps and then the pump and ram. Good luck!

Andrew