Peugeot 1986 505- XD3T engine 2.5 lt TD sedan--pulley timing marks

jerro

Hi everyone, well here i go with another request for advice please. Having had the fuel pump timing adjusted i feel i need to do my valve clearances and of course would like to know the clearances and any `tricks` that might be worth knowing when doing this? 1986 505- XD3T engine 2.5 lt TD sedan.- I`m sure i could find them in a manual but would prefer to hear it from the forum which i trust more than the manual at this point! Other than remove rocker cover, check and adjust valves, replace rocker cover, anything else. I`d need to ask 1-what torque is needed on the valve adjustment inlet and exhaust? 2- in order to get valves full open or closed which timing mark to line up and where or just rotate engine until valve `appears` open/closed. Anyway, any advise appreciated!--Thanks as always

This is what I have for the XD2S. I couldn't find anything different for the XD3T;

There are 2 methods of adjusting valves, valves rocking and exh (E) valve fully open. I use the E valve fully open. Turn the engine by hand and watch the valve action. Adjustments, Intake - 0.25 (.010"), Exhaust - 0.25 (.010"), The method I use for adjustment is called GO/NOGO, be sure the gauge and gap is lubricated, use a 0.26 & a 0.25 feeler, set the valve at 0.25 then check with 0.26, if 0.26 goes in easy then reset. If it is forced then the setting is correct. The feel for valve clearance is a personal thing, and you can tell if it is too tight or loose by the feel (think back to times before the wife). Cylinder # 1 is at the flywheel. The firing order is 1 3 4 2.

The Exhaust valve fully open method.

OPEN ADJUST

#1E #3 I #4 E

#3E #4 I #2 E

#4E #2 I #1 E

#2E #1 I #3 E

Peugeot's suggestion for procedure:

Cool engine min. 6 hrs

rotate engine until exhaust valve # 1 is fully open ( you can use

the front or rear cylinder as # 1), the French way is that # 1 is the cylinder

closest to the flywheel

Adjust intake valve # 3

then adjust #4 exhaust, rotate

engine 1/2 turn until # 3 exhaust valve is completely open, then adjust #4

intake, # 2 exhaust, rotate to #4 exhaust open, adjust # 2 intake, # 1 exhaust,

rotate to # 2 exhaust open, adjust #1 intake and # 3 exhaust

Thanks Jeff, i am starting to feel confident about getting on with it, very much appreciated. Any idea how much torque to apply when you have set the gaps and tighten things down please?--Thanks again----

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to everyone that is under their Pug wrenching! I didn`t think i would be posting much this side of Christmas but here we go again. Please can anyone tell me the different timing marks on the crankshaft pulley when you adjust your valve clearances. Thanks to our forum here i have the valve clearance specs and which order to do them in but i haven`t got the timing mark position when you do this that makes sense to me. Any info most welcome. My family is buying me a new Haynes manual for Christmas to replace the one that disappeared recently when all i want is a new car (Peugeot--hint hint)

I merged your last post into this thread since it's related.

If you look at the procedures Jeff provided you just need to know when the valves are open, so with the valve cover off and you rotating the crank manually - you will be able to see the valve open. (Rocker arm moves the valve down compressing the valve spring) It usually opens to a it's maximum, and then stays there as you keep rotating slowly. What I do is note when it stops moving down, and then when it starts moving back up - then I put the crank in the middle of those two points. Then I set the lash on the other valve as in the procedure.

Rabin