84 TD fuel leak around injector pump

rickcjmc

Hi All,

Just got an 84 505G wagon started yesterday. I fired it up today and noticed fuel leaking from under the car off the oil pan, I can see it is leaking from the injector pump but not specifically where. Any thoughts guys? The car has sat for 6 years as best as I can tell, it was pretty crusty when I got to it, but it did fire right up with a fresh gallon of fuel and a hot battery.

Big thanks..Rick in St Paul OR

It's quite common for the last straw in a TD's life to be a leaking injection pump as the cost to have them resealed is usually $1K+.

There's lots of info about resealing them yourself - but lacking time I decided to get a guy I met on the IDI Diesel forums that is not only resealing my pump but he's also modifying it.

I'll be posting his contact info right away in the vendor section if interested.

Rabin

• 1 year later...

Hey Bean,

So to follow up on this saga.......I had found the info to replace the rear injector pump seal, pretty easy as far as I could tell, turns out not so much. Had my son, a certified diesel mechanic to prefrom the operation. Well, needless to say it was a disaster. We turned to pump into junk. Bought another VE pump from a nice fellow in Washington state. Installed new pump and could not get car to run, burp fart, nothing. Last ditch effort, craigs list ad for local Pug diesel expert wanted. Fellow craigslister sent me info on John in Hebo Oregon, what a guy he lives and breaths these things. A week at his place and he had done all the TD updates, had it purring, ok, clattering like a cheap swiss watch and I am now driving her back and forth to work getting average of 25MPG!!!! Love this car, what a pleasent ride!!!!!

Cheers!!!!

Oh, just turned 90K miles!!!!!!........how do I fix the darn tachometer?????

Tach should be a sensor on the bellhousing - mine was flakey and was just a loose connection at the bellhousing.

Glad to hear the car is up and running like a champ. John in Hebo OR is also someone I'd live to chat with... :

I'm really hoping I can make some significant progress on my TD wagon as well this summer.

Rabin

........how do I fix the darn tachometer?????

As Rabin said there is a sensor on the bell housing which will fail to work if it's too far away from the fly wheel, and can be fatally damaged if it's too close. There is also a ground connection to the glow plug relay bracket. I also reduced the jumpiness of mine by cleaning the contacts on the back of the instrument cluster.