505 Turbo Diff %?

Douvrin504

Hi, I'm prepared to do a diff to my 504, I have for me to lsd diff on the 505 is 25% braking, is there any difference between a 505 turbo diff compared to a regular 505 in braking %?

I have a 505 Turbo lsd diff, and a 505 Gti lsd diff, maybe better and fit gti diff in my 504 if there is any difference between them, thought gti diff has not run as hard, gti diff as I have, is 13000 mil cultivated.

Bobby

I've always thought the Turbo diff's were rated at 80%, and the regular US spec cars got 40% diff's - but I've never been able to find the source for that. Lock up for the Turbo is definitely quite a bit more than the diff of an XN6 car from experience though.

I've had very good luck getting quite a bit more lock up in an 85 STI (XN6) using Redline 75W90NS in - to the point that the inside wheel will scratch the pavement when turning corners. Great for gravel events. :)

Rabin

BTW - I have yet to take a diff apart - but I will have to take apart my torsen fairly soon to see what the cause of the clunk is. This is assuming the clunk is in the diff - I still need to isolate it exactly.

Did you happen to see the video I posted of the rallycross I did in the 89'? Awesome fun and the Torsen was really good in the dirt.

Rabin

Thanks for the reply Rabin, I looked at your Rallycross video it looked good!

I think the regular 505 has 25% diff, it writes Danielson in their list of 1995cc and 2165cc, which I found today.

I think I fit my diff from a 505 Gti with 2165cc engine, 25% is good enough, I think, if it is in good condition, the diff as I have i'nu comes from a 504 pick up, it works well.

I'm thinking of installing the Torsen diff in my second diff, but do not know if you're going to have original Torsen or Quife, would be fun to try Torsen / Quife in 504 if that makes a difference in handling with a Torsen / Quife compared to regular lsd diff , if the car overrides less or more.

Bobby

I could be wrong of course - but I understand the North American cars that were sent over had very high specifications compared to other markets. LSD diffs, more options standard, etc etc.

Sadly I can't confirm the LSD rates, but I hope to be taking some of the diff's I have apart in search of fixing the clunk in my Torsen diff. Maybe the way to know will be a physical difference between the XN6 motored cars and the turbo cars to see if there is actually a difference inside.

I've got a 4.11 (XN6 5-sp) and a 3.89 (turbo) diff that I'll likely need to disassemble to see if anything can be used to fix my 3.89 Torsen in my 89' 505 turbo. Most likely I'll be moving the ABS sensor brackets to the 4.11 and installing that until I can properly rebuild / reseal my Torsen diff.

Rabin