Waste gate question

pushgo

I can't remember which thread I saw something on waste gate repair. I think the jerking that I'm getting from my car when I accelerate is due to a faulty waste gate. I've heard that you need to replace the entire turbo with the waste gate. And I have also heard that it is possible to just replace the waste gate. Can anyone confirm which is best and most cost effective and if in fact I can replace the waste gate and if so what are the procedures.

I did the job a few years ago.

The first thing to do is to replace the hose from the turbo actuator. It costs about 29 cents. You can use regular vacuum hose. That might fix it.

The mechanism can become sticky or even froze up from age or non use. In the past, I have been able to free it up with penetrating oil and gentle persuasion with a pry bar.

The actuator has a rubber diaphragm inside that can go bad. It is a Garrett part. When mine went bad, I got a replacement from Eriksson Industries for around $100.

When I did mine, I had a friend (who recently passed away) help me. I was advised from a fellow list member to unbolt the motor mount (after supporting the engine). Against advise, my friend, who was helping me, thought we might be able to get it out without doing that. It turned out to be really close (like an eighth of a inch). So don't try that short cut.

Be sure and lube up and get free the adjustment mechanism before putting it all back together.

-Bill