My previous UK 89 V6 Executive

paraic

Hi

I am a once proud owner of a really nice 505 V6 when I lived in Ireland. I bought it from the UK in 2001 and drove it over the next year and a half.At some point it developed fuel problems with black smoke coming out the exhaust at startup and intermittent starting problems as well as occasional cutting out.My mechanic didn't really want to deal with the car though he did admit he loved driving it :)

So after a few more attempts to clear up the fuel problems he took it in for a week to fix the problem once and for all. The day before it came in it developed the dreaded manifold gasket problem which on the V6 is a nightmare to replace. Those gaskets and the design around them are woeful to say the least. While the gaskets were being done, the junior mechanic did something somewhere while putting it back topgether and after all was said and done, the car would not start. In fact it never started again. The mechanic never admitted what he had done and as a result with the cost of trying to fix the fuel, trying to diagnose a non-existent mistake and the gaskets, I had to dump the car, promising myself I would one day come back to the 505 when I had more time (and money).

Well I have since moved to the US, to Portland, OR and was surprised to find that there is healthy group of 505 owners in the Northwest. And the lack of rustiness has kept most of them in good condition, or at least salvageable. I am in discussion with a few people to revisit the blissful land of 505 ownership once more. Koll has his 1986 Turbo 5 speed almost ready and I will be looking at that this week hopefully.

I am very excited to be driving a 505 again. Of all the cars I have driven its stands out (along with the BMW E34 535i) as a great fun car to drive. Its by far the most comfortable car and despite its many flaws, a great car to own and be proud of. Given the opportunity I would love to go back in time to the designers of the 505 and point out some design flaws that have broken many a 505 owner's heart, but in the end that is the way the French build their cars - even to this day. I feel they have definitely lost the flair and drivability they once had with the 504/505 and possibly the 405, so I don't expect them ever to produce anything like a 505 again.I have included a few pics of my previous 505 as a nostalgic moment and I really do miss that car. I added quite a lot to it - it has a very nice sound system using a Rio MP3 head unit ( a rare thing in 2001), trunk mounted subwoofer and a serious pair of amps. It sounded great and was a really unique car to drive on the Irish roads. What a shame I couldn't salvage it.

post-1071-0-59491400-1314681401_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-53997400-1314681419_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-07474100-1314681427_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-64882100-1314681434_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-33498400-1314681442_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-25891300-1314681530_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-25891300-1314681530_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-26387900-1314681548_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum!

I remember you posting on Peugeot-L years back - your username was familar and your intro reminded me of why. :) Good luck finding a suitable replacement 505 - they really do get under your skin, and dollar for dollar I don't know of a better car. Hell - I haven't been able to find a replacement. :)

Regarding finding a good used one - if I'm ever in the position to buy one, and Koll is selling - I don't think I'd bother looking elsewhere. He's the ideal previous owner in that his cars are impeccably fixed and maintained examples. I can't wait to see the results of the new car he got after seeing how the 86' was refreshed.

The turbo is a very different beast from the V6, but each has their strengths.

Rabin