505 rear calipers and cold starts

Hello everybody - brand new in this forum and first post. I have two Pugs as daily drivers - 505 GTI 2,2 1986 with all extras and only 67000 KM on the clock and a 4 door 205D 1986 1,8 non turbo - EL windows, servo and central locking - not common in Europe. During summer its a MGB GT 1970 - lives south of Copenhagen Denmark. Got trouble with my 505 - recently I had, at quite some expence, rebuild both rear calipers - hand brake still not working -- also replaced cables. Rear calipers are impossible to source in Europe - but had luck yesterday and found a new pair in the U.K - hope that solves my hand brake problem. Its still quite cold over here with frost during night, but she fires up every morning with out no problem - problem is that after idle for about 1 minute it takes a dive in RPMs and almost stalls - as soon the engine is warm - 15 min drives its back to fine - any views on that ? - can not take it to any Pug shop, most places they do not have tools or knowledge (will) to fix these cars - thanks in advance - Per Rix, Denmark.

post-943-1301495972.jpg

post-943-1301496002.jpg

post-943-1301496029.jpg

Welcome to the forum Per...

First - your 505 looks NEW! Very nice car indeed.

Rear brakes: Can you give more details on exactly how the parking brake isn't functioning? Can you pull the handbrake and nothing happens, or does the lever not move? etc etc. More details the better. The ratcheting park brake mechanism can be easily destroyed if the piston was compressed without rotating the piston 1/8th turn before pushing it back. Hopefully that isn't the case as you pretty much need another set if that was the case.

Running issue: That seems like an odd one for sure. Have you done the basics to ensure it's tuned up, timed properly, new fuel filter, injectors cleaned / tested? I would start by ensuring spark plugs are good and gapped properly, cap and rotor in good shape, timing set, and that the fuel filter has recently replaced. (Good test for the fuel filter is to pour the fuel out, and if it's still heavy it's dirty. If it's quite light it should still be good)

Since the running issue is so sudden, and not repeatale, it's going to be hard to figure out. So it'll mostly be trial and error to narrow down possible causes.

Rabin

Welcome to the forum Per...

First - your 505 looks NEW! Very nice car indeed.

Rear brakes: Can you give more details on exactly how the parking brake isn't functioning? Can you pull the handbrake and nothing happens, or does the lever not move? etc etc. More details the better. The ratcheting park brake mechanism can be easily destroyed if the piston was compressed without rotating the piston 1/8th turn before pushing it back. Hopefully that isn't the case as you pretty much need another set if that was the case.

Running issue: That seems like an odd one for sure. Have you done the basics to ensure it's tuned up, timed properly, new fuel filter, injectors cleaned / tested? I would start by ensuring spark plugs are good and gapped properly, cap and rotor in good shape, timing set, and that the fuel filter has recently replaced. (Good test for the fuel filter is to pour the fuel out, and if it's still heavy it's dirty. If it's quite light it should still be good)

Since the running issue is so sudden, and not repeatale, it's going to be hard to figure out. So it'll mostly be trial and error to narrow down possible causes.

Rabin

Thanks - it is a great car indeed - my 205D is in same shape - handbrake in the cabin works fine - about 7-9 clicks - cables are new and the activator arms on caliper moves fine - most be inside the caliper then ..... got two new ones from the U.K today and the guy told me, no special procedures was needed, since they are new and had not been used before - he told me next time I had to replace the pads, I had to take great care ..... About the idling / cold start problem - did a full service recently - oil, filter, plugs, airfilter and timmig belt . I think there must be some kind of temperature sensor ???? maybe closing og open to early, since its running fine at idle once warm - will try to replace the filter and have a look at the injectors - do you know if still can get these injectors ? thinks its Bosch - thanks and regards. Per

That narrows it down to the idle bypass which should allow extra air into the engine with the cold start valve, so I would suspect that either the cold start valve is shutting off too soon, or the air by pass needs to be adjusted so it doesn't shut too soon. I would suspect the cold start injector is temp controlled, so it could be temp sensor faulty that's telling the ECU to kill enrichment too soon.

I've only ever owned XN6 or N9Txx cars - so I'm not familiar - so I'm mostly just making educated guesses. B)

Rabin

That narrows it down to the idle bypass which should allow extra air into the engine with the cold start valve, so I would suspect that either the cold start valve is shutting off too soon, or the air by pass needs to be adjusted so it doesn't shut too soon. I would suspect the cold start injector is temp controlled, so it could be temp sensor faulty that's telling the ECU to kill enrichment too soon.

I've only ever owned XN6 or N9Txx cars - so I'm not familiar - so I'm mostly just making educated guesses. :angry:

Rabin

Thanks again Bean. Waiting for new calipers ........ Managed to find a complete guide for Bosch J Tronic system on the internet ( bless it :) ) - will keep u posted. Per Rix