my "new" '86 Peugeot 505S

Hello Forum,

I've recently become the proud owner of a 1986 Peugeot 505S. I would like to return it to the wonderful car that it used to be and drive it daily. The vehicle has several problems which need to be addressed.

First, the drivers door will not open. The pull handle has no tension on it. Has anyone had this problem and what would be the best way for me to open the door without cutting the inner door liner into pieces? Climbing over the center console is not cool. :D Thanks for your time!

1986 505S

Peugeot505S.jpg

Start by carefully removing the passenger door panel. That way, you'll learn exactly how it comes off.

It's not hard. Much like all other cars.

You'll have to remove pull handle (3 screws I think) then carefully popping the door clips around the edges.

Be careful with the plastic surround around the inner door handle. It pops straight out. But be very careful as they're really fragile.

Have a good flashlight and peer in where there is resistance. Act/think like a surgeon, not a mechanic - especially for this. Don't force anything. Once all clips and screws are out/off, the panel will lift up from the window channel. You need to roll down the window before the last step. Become an expert with your one good door as it's obviously tougher than the closed driver's door.

You don't want to break or damage anything as it will mean scrounging and begging for the the parts you broke that are no longer available from the factory.

Good luck and welcome to the Peugeot fold!