electric fan conversion

brandon

Hi Everyone, Can anyone step me through the best approach and fan options for converting my fan over to an electric temp controlled motor.

I think the electromagnetic one OEM has stopped working and my engine temp light is now coming on.

Thanks for any advice!

Usually what fails is the little carbon brush that gives the magnetic fan clutch 12V wears out and stops making contact. Simply replacing that brush will usually fix it barring any other issues.

You can test this circuit at the rad fan switch (Engine off). Pull off the connector on the rad switch and find the + wire. Jump that wire to one of the other female connectors on the plug and it should either engage the magnetic fan clutch (Thunk), or turn on the electric AC fan. (do both). If both work the rad fan switch is toast. If there's no thunk - find the wire connected to the little carbon brush (touches the brass ring) and apply the 12V to the lead to the brush. Magnetic clutch should engage. (THUNK) If that's working then the wiring to the rad fan switch has failed and it needs to get replaced. If it still doesn't engage, applying 12V + directly to the shiny brass ring (on the fan pulley body) from the battery when the engine is off and listen for the clutch to engage. That has to work or the magnetic pulley has gone out of adjustment.

Rad fan switch and carbon brush wiring need to function for the electric fan swap to work, so it's woth testing and confirming. What I did for my electric fan conversion was to use the wire that feeds that 12V brush on the magnetic fan to power the new electric fan. Since it's controlled properly by the rad fan switch in the rad - it's very simple to integrate. Magnetic fan draws just as much as the electric fan so it runs great on that wire.

Only thing is you may have clearance issues between the rad and the magnetic fan pulley.

BTW - my XD3T has the "modern" style viscous fluid fans that engage with heat off the rad. Not sure if thats another upgrade path or not however.

Also - I moved this topic from the for sale section.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Did you do any of the diagnostics I mentioned? Sounds like it could be as simple as replacing the brush that feeds the magnetic clutch through that brass ring. Easy to figure out like I mentioned.

If you go electric - just by the best you can afford for. SPAL is a good name, but there's lots of good jobber fans available. Another option is an electric fan off another car at a wrecker if you really want to do it on a budget. A good used OEM one will last quite a long time. Key is to fit the biggest one you can.

Rabin