NTC Sensor- N9TE

bill

Here's a tip from the trenches, and it is courtesy from St. Grubbs in the archives:

I just replaced the NTC sensor, the one that measures the coolant temp. It goes the lower the temp, the higher the ohms. I am impressed with the difference after I plugged the new one in. I think that it is kinda one of those that, if it is sketchey, the car will still run. My idle and overall performance are much better. I vaguely remember him talking about one that was "borderline" one time, so that's what prompted me.

It's the one that gets loosened when you want to bleed the cooling system. Blue plug at the top of the thermostat housing. 19mm. Bosch 0 280 130 126.

Thanks Joe, my $20 is well spent.

-Bill

glad to hear its running better. the ntc is critical with fuel, and timing maps so its one thing to check for and keep on top of with a well tuned car. the n9teA used a little different BLACK ntc sensor which also controlled what boost map was run. i think that black one is about $100 more new :unsure:

do you remember how off the old one was? at normal operating temp, it should be about 300 ohms if i remember right. were you getting an engine code?

I went for a drive again tonight, and yep, the idle and performance are markedly better. I'm glad that that is the only thing I did, so now I know for sure. I also cleaned the connector, and the pins did need to be bent back a hair, as they had a decent sized gap between the ears. No codes before.

I need a good thermometer. I have a candy one, but at boiling it reads 195 degrees F. So I unscientifically added 17 degrees to the range, then converted to C. I am going to be on the lookout for a decent Celsius thermometer, just to save a step and to get rid of the slack in my numbers.

At any rate, I was getting 219ohms at boiling, and, according to the graph, the range is about 180-205. I also checked it at various temps, and at 87C I was getting 325ohms, and the range on the graph for that temp is ~250-325ohms. My readings on each successive reading were close to, or slightly exceeding the upper limit.

It was around $20, and it is a nice tweak. It very well could have been the original one, and if it was, it's going on almost twenty years.

-Bill

glad to hear its running better. the ntc is critical with fuel, and timing maps so its one thing to check for and keep on top of with a well tuned car. the n9teA used a little different BLACK ntc sensor which also controlled what boost map was run. i think that black one is about $100 more new :unsure:

do you remember how off the old one was? at normal operating temp, it should be about 300 ohms if i remember right. were you getting an engine code?

• 1 month later...

it sounds like your describing the right sensor. side of housing, top (above the brown thermo time switch).

it should go like this:

N9TE (86-87) = blue NTC

N9TEA (88-89) = black NTC

the N9TEA NTC sensor gives extra feedback for the electrovalve which modify's boost.

it sounds like your describing the right sensor. side of housing, top (above the brown thermo time switch).

it should go like this:

N9TE (86-87) = blue NTC

N9TEA (88-89) = black NTC

the N9TEA NTC sensor gives extra feedback for the electrovalve which modify's boost.

Mine is definitely blue. It seems to work "OK," but perhaps the price was a deterrent.

where did you end up finding the accordian hose?

Unhappily, this is a discontinued part. Whoever I talked with at Disortex found a place (Peugeots in Pompano) who claimed to have a couple. The person in FL called me back and said blah-blah it shows it in inventory but it's not there. Then the kicker, "Is that satisfactory?"

How obtuse, how could he think it's anything but unsatisfactory?

In the interim, last night I used ShoeGoo on the hose after cleaning it with Brake Parts Cleaner. I installed it today, and I have swell idle. Brian Holm is sending me a used hose and a new throttle position potentiometer. Then I can set up the idle at 900 or whatever at 10°. I think it's too low now, and the timing curve is off accordingly.

ouch! that's not good to hear. I was hoping they would still be available.

so, why did you decide to get a new TPS?

also, while your at it, it might be a good time to check the TPS and microswitch plugs for corrosion, and do some cleaning. and maybe a little packing with di-electric grease :o