Oil temperature sending unit - Where is it?

Palme

Hello everyone!

My oil temperature gauge doesn't work (but the oil level indicator works, which as you know is in the same unit). So I've searched practically every square inch of the engine for the sending unit, but I just can't find it.

My question is: Where is it? Or does it perhaps use the same sending unit as for the level indicator? But then the wiring confuses me ...

Anyone who knows?

Regards,

Alex Palmqvist

I think it's on the left hand side of the engine (from the drivers perspective). There should be a block under the intake with two sensors sticking out of it. One of them is the oil pressure sensor and one is the oil temperature sensor?

Hmm... I got a bit confused when you mentioned a "block". I had seen the oil pressure sending unit, but nothing to be mentioned as a block. So I googled for some pictures, and found this:

jf8zuf.jpg

...on this page.

And there it is, the "block"!

My pressure sending unit is all alone, and goes straight into the block.

Then I'll just have to get one of those blocks, and a temperature sending unit.

Regards,

Alex

That adaptor is only on facelift models 86 ->

<-86 models have only pressure unit directly on block

Block = cylinderblock

Block is same in all 505 turbo models

V-M

P.S And I have one of those adaptors + sensors also on storage

Sorry, maybe I was a bit unclear. When I said "...and goes straight into the block", I should have said cylinder block, of course. And when I spoke about the "block" I meant what you call adaptor.

Anyway, it's a -88 N9TEA (forgot to mention it, sorry), so I need one of those adaptors, then. :P

If you V-M could think of selling the adaptor and sensor to across the sea, it would be great. :(

But first I'll check with my usual spare-parts contacts, since it would be easiest getting one domestically. If I don't get one, I'll contact you. All right?

Regards,

Alex Palmqvist

Nice clean up.. I wonder how they get the cylinder head so neat.... I've spend ages trying to get the sludge out of the one I am restoring :D

I'd say that bead blasting is the solution. I've seen some bead blasted heads, and they practically looked like new.

Regards,

Alex