Sunday's Rally-x

Bean

Local radio coverage

Check out the gallery in the link...

Went to the event late with no intentions of running. Just wanted to stretch the legs on the 504 as it's sat all winter unused except for "warm" days this winter.

Ended up getting there in time for the first run and ran the event out of the blue with no prep at all. Man was it fun! No traction with the TRX's on the back (220's no less!) but still so much fun.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Local radio coverage

Check out the gallery in the link...

Went to the event late with no intentions of running. Just wanted to stretch the legs on the 504 as it's sat all winter unused except for "warm" days this winter.

Ended up getting there in time for the first run and ran the event out of the blue with no prep at all. Man was it fun! No traction with the TRX's on the back (220's no less!) but still so much fun.

Rabin

HA! that's fantastic!! ..got more pics????

I need another 505 to play around with... like you and the 504 - I wouldn't dare do stuff like that on my fragile moody 505, the cluster would start flashing like a christmas tree, but I do want to race it some day... ideally up against a TURBO... yeah your heard me a TURBO!!! hahaha I'd show you guys what my eurotrash can do...

Good job!! post more pics if you got any..

Guest EUROTRASH

Damage to the tires on dirt is insignificant - it's much harder on tires in pavement events, but even that is limited / negligible if you run R compound tires.

R compound, interesting... don't know what that is, mine read 205/60 R15 91H, would it be on the tires?

Guest EUROTRASH

R Compounds are DOT legal race tires... (Meaning they're legal for road use if you wanted.)

One of many: Toyo R888's

Very interesting, I think the Bridgestone Potenza were the most race-oriented tires I've had, but like I said on a previous post not very good when it comes to everyday driving.

Your 504 doesn't seem to roll as much when turning as the 505, mine rolls so much I feel like I'm gonna rollover. Any thoughts on this? Is rolling a good thing or a bad thing? I'm leaning towards bad.

My 504 still leans a fair bit, but the entire front suspension including brakes and the roll bar is 505 Turbo spec. I'll be swapping in the rear springs and the 8 valve turbo shocks in the rear this spring, as well as get a nice custom exhaust using the later XN6 dual outlet exhaust manifold.

Since the 504 is a bit lighter than a full load 505 - it's handling is fantastic. It's also got some pretty decent negative camber so turn in is fantastic with the wheel alignment it has.

Your car would need to be the STX V6 to get the sport suspension, and you said it rode rough so it shouldn't corner with THAT much lean. If it does then I'd look at the roll bar end links to see if there's anything amiss.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

My 504 still leans a fair bit, but the entire front suspension including brakes and the roll bar is 505 Turbo spec. I'll be swapping in the rear springs and the 8 valve turbo shocks in the rear this spring, as well as get a nice custom exhaust using the later XN6 dual outlet exhaust manifold.

Since the 504 is a bit lighter than a full load 505 - it's handling is fantastic. It's also got some pretty decent negative camber so turn in is fantastic with the wheel alignment it has.

Your car would need to be the STX V6 to get the sport suspension, and you said it rode rough so it shouldn't corner with THAT much lean. If it does then I'd look at the roll bar end links to see if there's anything amiss.

Rabin

Negative camber means the front wheel's vertical angle is set slightly inwards, right?

Negative camber means the front wheel's vertical angle is set slightly inwards, right?

Yes. My 504 is running close to -3 degrees which is quite lot. Alignment is set with 0 toe in, and remarkably there is no excessive inside edge wear.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Yes. My 504 is running close to -3 degrees which is quite lot. Alignment is set with 0 toe in, and remarkably there is no excessive inside edge wear.

Rabin

I see this on Formula 1, they must be running -8 degrees or more, of course when you're pulling 4 Gs in the corners you really don't have much of a choice. The new F1 regulations require more down force in the front than in the rear, that's why the front wings are wider and lower, and the rear wings are now more narrow. It must be even harder on the front tires because you still see the same camber factor as before.

post-351-1238631407.jpg

post-351-1238631434.jpg

post-351-1238631465.jpg

Rabin

I've found my STX rides much more firm then my diesel cars, it's actually a little on the rough side.

Do know of a place that can rebuild the shocks ? I'm told never replace the shocks with aftermarket ones.

I've found my STX rides much more firm then my diesel cars, it's actually a little on the rough side.

Do know of a place that can rebuild the shocks ? I'm told never replace the shocks with aftermarket ones.

Front struts are simply a seal and a change of fluid - so they're easily done yourself. Rear shocks need to be replaced - but I've got a set that came apart when removing so I'm going to see what is possible to renew/rebuild them...

If the car is riding firm though - shocks should be fine. If you want a plusher ride like your diesels then you need to swap in the softer springs.

Personally - I don't care for the wallowy ride of the diesel cars I've owned. Even the stock 504 was too wallowy for me - but it did soak up the most amazing bumps without even noticing them. It still absorbs bumps like no other car - but it's a much sportier feel with the changes.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

I have this problem too, possibly worse than yours. I had the rear shocks replaced and the front shocks rebuilt, it made very little difference if any. I wonder if it's some other component within the suspension tower.

What's between the top of the tower and the springs/shocks? I mean do the shocks rest up against the car's chassis?

Front struts are simply a seal and a change of fluid - so they're easily done yourself. Rear shocks need to be replaced - but I've got a set that came apart when removing so I'm going to see what is possible to renew/rebuild them...

If the car is riding firm though - shocks should be fine. If you want a plusher ride like your diesels then you need to swap in the softer springs.

Personally - I don't care for the wallowy ride of the diesel cars I've owned. Even the stock 504 was too wallowy for me - but it did soak up the most amazing bumps without even noticing them. It still absorbs bumps like no other car - but it's a much sportier feel with the changes.

Rabin

Thanks for the tip on the shocks, I'm doing some work on my STX and I'll leave the ride the way the factory made it. Not to hijack the thread, but I'm getting a towbar for my 81 and I'd to be able to pull a mid size utility trailer behind it with some weight (riding mower, furniture, stuff like that) will later STX shocks/spring bolt on to the 81 ?

This might possibly keep its ass from sagging when loaded.

I have this problem too, possibly worse than yours. I had the rear shocks replaced and the front shocks rebuilt, it made very little difference if any. I wonder if it's some other component within the suspension tower.

What's between the top of the tower and the springs/shocks? I mean do the shocks rest up against the car's chasey?

I think they do ride on the chassis, like the old VW Rabbits did. When I got my Turbo (which I no longer have) I noticed it rode alot harder then my diesels as did my STX. I thought the struts/springs must have been worn out. When I hit RR tracks or potholes it hits with a bang, as the diesels float right over them. But, if I'm out on the backroads the STX takes the turns like its on a rail.

There's a strut bearing mount between the spring and the chassis. There's also a rubber isolator that the top that the strut rod bolts too.

So if there's a lot of play in that top mount you might get a "bang", or it might be in the suspension bushings on the lower control arm. My car's don't bang over railway tracks - but it certainly doesn't soak them up like the stock 504 did.

Pugsley - the STX stuff will fit no problem, but the V6 stuff likely has a slightly lower ride height so the back end might not sit properly.

Also - another HUGE factor is the 15" rims and tires. Running the 14" rims with taller sidewall tires is a much more luxurious ride - even with the stiffer suspension.

Something to consider as well - go for a ride in a domestic or Japanese car over some of the bumps that you have trouble with in the Peugeot. THEN you might see a big difference. I had one bump that used to damn near kill my sister's car. I'd take it at speed in my 504 and it was nothing. One time she was in my car she told me to slow down as it was a big bump. Typical little brother I dropped a gear and punched it - hit the bump with the car floored and her screaming - it was a total non event. Then I got hit.

In her car (Dodge Omni at the time) we certainly would have died.... Ok - maybe not died - but it would have been a huge impact that would have bottomed the car)

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

There's a strut bearing mount between the spring and the chassis. There's also a rubber isolator that the top that the strut rod bolts too.

So if there's a lot of play in that top mount you might get a "bang", or it might be in the suspension bushings on the lower control arm. My car's don't bang over railway tracks - but it certainly doesn't soak them up like the stock 504 did.

I just have to take the whole thing apart and see what's wrong. It's not just a bang, there's a screeching sound as well, like metal to metal rubbing somewhere... most noticeable when driving slow over speed bumps.

Thanks for the info, I never really knew what was in the suspension tower... besides the obvious.