Problem with 505 diesel start-up

brandon

Hello All,

I have an 81' 505 non-turbo diesel (XD2)120k miles, that has really bad smoking and idling issues on start-up.

engine starts quickly, but immediately smokes bad, really bad, for about 10 - 15min: Engine and smoke clear off and the car runs great most of the day, unless it sits for more than 5 hours.

Does this sound like a bad injector or pump issue, timing, etc. ? thanks

Hi Brandon,

From what I've gathered from others you need to verify:

1. Glow plugs are good
  2. Pump timing is in spec
  3. Valves are properly adjusted
  4. And that you have good compression.

Failing that - I've also heard smoke on start up may just be a symptom if the engine has sat a long time and you're just getting it running again. In that case they suggest you run it for a while to ensure all the systems are thoroughly worked out.

Others will chime in as well I'm sure. From what you describe though - I'd guess that the glow plugs or the glow plug circuit is at fault.

I just pay attention to the diesel talk as I'd love to get a diesel someday for myself... :)

Rabin

Thanks Rabin,

I am new fairly new to diesels, especially peugeot. have worked on my old mercedes 300D some...

-glow plugs get hot, and light indicator works.

-I adjusted the valves about 13k miles ago, with no sign of less smoking.

-compression check was good

-I have replace all rubber fuel lines.

I have some questions about timing though: what would be the best way to check timing?

and can timing cause a bad start idle then run perfectly after a 10 minutes?

I am planning to pull out the injectors soon and check for heavy carbon build-up

Any other suggestions on things I should look for? or injector timing procedures?

Thanks

Hi Brandon,

From what I've gathered from others you need to verify:

1. Glow plugs are good
  2. Pump timing is in spec
  3. Valves are properly adjusted
  4. And that you have good compression.

Failing that - I've also heard smoke on start up may just be a symptom if the engine has sat a long time and you're just getting it running again. In that case they suggest you run it for a while to ensure all the systems are thoroughly worked out.

Others will chime in as well I'm sure. From what you describe though - I'd guess that the glow plugs or the glow plug circuit is at fault.

I just pay attention to the diesel talk as I'd love to get a diesel someday for myself... :)

Rabin

Hi Brandon,

The only thing I've read is to mark the pump and the adjustment bracket, then move the pump 3mm closer to the engine to advance the timing to see if that helps the situation.

I would go to the yahoo groups and join the Peugoet-L group - then do some searching there for diesel advise. Brian Holm was the one that gave that advise - so you might want to contact him direct as well. (See vendor section on this forum for contact info.)

Please verify the 3mm pump timing tip too - like I said - I just try to pay attention and I don't have any hands on experience.

Rabin

Great. I will start with the pump timing and see if that helps. Also, as another tidbit of confusion, I noticed that if I have someone start the car for me I can see that the inline fuel filter starts out full of diesel then gets really low while the engine is running rough? the filter slowly refills while the engine gets warmer?

I should say here that all fuel lines have been replace and a new seal put in the fuel/water separator.

Any Ideas?

Thanks Again Rabin

Hi Brandon,

The only thing I've read is to mark the pump and the adjustment bracket, then move the pump 3mm closer to the engine to advance the timing to see if that helps the situation.

I would go to the yahoo groups and join the Peugoet-L group - then do some searching there for diesel advise. Brian Holm was the one that gave that advise - so you might want to contact him direct as well. (See vendor section on this forum for contact info.)

Please verify the 3mm pump timing tip too - like I said - I just try to pay attention and I don't have any hands on experience.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

This seems highly possible, and maybe would explain why the car runs great with zero smoke after the first ten minutes. How do I test this? or should I just go ahead and replace the injector nozzles?

Thanks.

you sure its not a leaking injector? when you shut it off it drips slowly into the cylinder so you have to burn it off when you start it

to test it you have to pull it out and put it on a nozzle tester, i would asume any local diesel shop, or a shop that frequently works on diesels would be able to test them for you. a tester is nothing more than a hand pump with a resivoir and pressure gauge but it cost a few hundred bucks so there is no sense in buying one just for one time use