505 Wagon wanted

seeking505

New to the list, I am looking to replace my SW8 that blew a transmission a few years back with another one. Another SW8 would be great, though just a Turbo wagon, maybe even a n/a wagon would be great. My Volvo 960 is on its last legs at 380K miles and time to move on up. Preferably in the New England area, but will travel if it makes sense. Let me know what is out there. I do have a line locally on a 92 505 non sw8 wagon, but it is a V6, which I should probably ignore after owning a few Volvo PRV powered cars. Thanks for any leads you may turn up for me. Projects are good if fairly local to Maine

Welcome to the forum...

If I were you I'd snag that V6 wagon in a heart beat - if in fact it is a V6. Wagon's never came with a V6, but a couple have been converted around the World - supposed to make the BEST combination possible. Definitely something Peugeot should have done from factory.

Also - Peugeot's don't suffer the same issues the Volve version of PRV's do - and in our circles they're a VERY well regarded motor.

I'd make sure that wagon is indeed a V6 though, and if it is - snag it if it's even remotely decent.

Rabin

Welcome to the forum...

If I were you I'd snag that V6 wagon in a heart beat - if in fact it is a V6. Wagon's never came with a V6, but a couple have been converted around the World - supposed to make the BEST combination possible. Definitely something Peugeot should have done from factory.

Also - Peugeot's don't suffer the same issues the Volve version of PRV's do - and in our circles they're a VERY well regarded motor.

I'd make sure that wagon is indeed a V6 though, and if it is - snag it if it's even remotely decent.

Rabin

Ah very good to know. I was told it was a 6 cylinder, but it didn't sound like the seller knew much about the car. I have been told 5 cylinder Audi's have had a 6 before too! I will check in on it and see if this is the case and let you all know. I am not terribly keen on having a n/a 4 cylinder one. I am coming from a Volvo 960 with the porsche designed 210 hp 6, and I guess I can say I got used to having some power in a wagon. I do know the PRV, and they weren't too awful in the Volvo's, it was more a factor of having the cams burn on them, which means you have to cut out a hole in the firewall to pull them out and replace them. On many other cars it wouldnt even be an issue to swap out the cams. Anyhow, let me know if something comes up for sale

Do keep us posted on the "6" cylinder wagon - but if they know little it's likely not the case since you'd have to be quite the enthusiast to do the swap.

I'm also well aware of the Volvo issues with the PRV, but as I stated before - those issues are not issues in Peugeot circles. I realise it doesn't make sense - but I've never heard of ANY cam failures in a Peugeot - and I've had several PRV's. I even have three PRV's in my garage right now. So the only experience with PRV's that you refer to - is the "V" in the PRV trio. The "P" version is a VERY good motor indeed.

The weakpoint in the peugeot wagons is the single u-joint that isn't suited very well for any sort of power. If you want a wagon that has some decent power then you'll want to get a turbo wagon.

If you're handy with a wrench and don't mind doing some repairs (head gasket / possible head replacement) on a GORGEOUS Red 89' wagon I can pass the contact info to you. I think he wants $2K for it as is - and it's worth every penny even with the head issues. Some decent mods on the car, and the engine was rebuilt 80K miles ago by a Boeing tech - current owner put exclusively highway miles on it from then on. I think it may even be fairly close to you...

Rabin