another damb starter problem! ughh!

Guest dane

When i turn the key over the accessories turn on, but the starter wont turn over. i tried making the starter turn over manually buy taking the wire coming from the battery to the starter off and then touching it to the copper wire that leads to the solenoid , it turns over some times but most the time the starter motor just winds up but dose not engage. i have been starting it buy push starting it the last few days but thats getting old really old. Any body have an idea of what it could be?

Thanks- Dane

Not to state the obvious, but... if your starter is as old as mine was when it broke down (a week ago) you might just need to have it rebuilt.

mine is brand new i got it only about a month ago.

It was a remanufactured one so it is possible that its just the starter that is bad :) i got a life time warranty with it so the only bad thing is the wait to get the part, and installing it again.

Guest EUROTRASH

It was a remanufactured one so it is possible that its just the starter that is bad :) i got a life time warranty with it so the only bad thing is the wait to get the part, and installing it again.

Well, my mechanic told me there is only one place he trusts to have these rebuilt, he had bad experiences with other shops that didn't do the job right, and he ended up wasting a lot of time pulling and replacing the parts over and over. So, it's an awful possibility, but still a possibility.

i was just messing around with it a little bit ago and now when i turn the key the starter clicks but dose not turn over. so i tried manually jumping the starter and it worked but it only will work that way if i let it sit for a bit then do it, other then that the starter motor just winds up but dose not engage to turn the fly wheal? i just don't get it ha

Dane - are you jumping from where the pos cable bolts onto the starter to the small wire connector (male spade connector) on the solenoid?

If you're doing that and only the starter motor winds up, then the solenoid is gone / crapping out. If it works every time, then it's the wiring, connections, cables or the ignition switch itself. There's a common starter relay mod that uses the existing small wire that goes to the starter as the signal wire on a relay. You then use the relay to switch battery power on a new wire that that's connected to the spade terminal.

BTW - just so you know how it works. Where the wires connect is called the solenoid. When you turn your key, power gets send to that small wire on the solenoid and it creates a magnetic force the moves a metal plunger forwared. This plunger moves the starter gear forward and engages the flywheel, and at the same time makes electrical contacts that route the battery power to the starter motor - and the motor turns the starter gear which is already engaging the flywheel - and it turns the motor over.

That's the cliff notes version - but it should give you an idea of what you're doing when you're jumping those wires. So by jumping power directy from the pos post on the solenoid to the small wire - it should trigger the solenoid as if you were using the ignition switch.

Rabin

Dang thanks for all the info Rabin i now know how a starter works never really got how it all engages to turn the flywheel over i do now though.

And yes i was jumping from where the pos cable bolts on to the starter to the spade and it just winds up but does not engage.

So from what you just explained it sounds like to me the solenoid it gone.

I have a lifetime warranty on the starter so im just going to pull it and get a new one :/